The SimpleAuth Web Service is not working. - 12042
    The Client Web Service is not working. - 12022
    The Server Synchronization Web Service is not working. - 12032
    The API Remoting Web Service is not working. - 12012
    The Reporting Web Service is not working. - 12002
    No client computers have ever contacted the server. - 13051
    Self-update is not working. - 13042

Rik

I have seen dozens of links to this, very few with solutions, and none of them with the solution that fixed mine.

I had this problem when trying ot install WSUS 3.0. The install would complete, but then the initial WSUS config wizard would crash and then I would see the messages you list in the windows Application Log.

My solution? I found a file in the root of wwwroot called "web.config", which looks to be a Sharepoint file. I moved it to another folder, and whammo -- WSUS is working now. This might not be an option for everyone, since it might be necessary for Sharepoint functionality. It wasn't for me on this server, anyway, and I am glad to be past it.

My goodness, where's this coming from? I believe I did say it could affect other things, by the way. In this case, I didn't break anything else because there *is* nothing else on the box. Frankly I find your assumption that I wasn't aware of the possible ramifications, more than a little insulting. I was careful. I moved the file; I didn't delete it, and then tried the application again.

Please understand the situation here: I had something broken, was desperately trying to get this to work, and had been scouring the Internet, running in circles and finding nothing but questions and no answers, for the past 2 days. I exhausted ALL the things that make sense to an administrator. Despite numerous full uninstalls of all .NET and all IIS and all WSUS anything (with liberal reboots after each change to rule out issues caused by same-session uninstall/reinstalls), my application is now working thanks to nothing but this *one* change. If the presence of web.config "wasn't the problem" in my case (the log was complaining about it consistently in both WSUS 2.0 and WSUS 3.0 -- yes, I went so far as to try WSUS 2.0 as well), then call me an astronaut. I had a broken WSUS and as soon as I moved the file away, I refreshed the servername\wsusadmin page and it immediately worked. It might not be the most scientific but in a vacuum of real help, sometimes that's what we system admins have to "kick the jukebox".

As I understand it, web.config is a file used on servers running apps that use .NET 2.0 and above. This case is a fresh install of Windows 2k3 SP1 with nothing but IIS and WSUS 3.0 installed, with one apparent exception. The server itself has sharepoint in its name, so I can infer that the local team intends to use it as a Sharepoint server. Guessing by the presence and contents of this file (which had nothing else *but* Sharepoint references in it), Sharepoint was presumably installed/uninstalled at some point by someone before I touched it.

Agreed. But since this is a server at a remote client site, and since the political structure of the relationship means I am using their stuff, and -- finally -- because the local admin is going to be out on leave for several weeks and told me they didn't have time to rebuild the OS and needed it fixed immediately, I didn't have this option. It was my first recommendation since it was a new box.
    Last edited by ImAllEars; 11-10-2007 at 07:32 PM. Reason: clarity

Re: WSUS 3.0 Errors

check my configuration

Re: WSUS 3.0 Errors

I had this similar problem and it took me a few days to work out. The event viewer errors are stating that it is an issue within IIS as the virtual directories are not working. Your IUSR_server user is pprobably out of sync in Active Directory, IIS Metabase and IIS virtual directories. This was what was causing those event viewer errors on my server. As a test, When I changed the user credentials in all of the virtual directories in IIS to administrator, clients started reporting back and the errors were not appearing in EV when running wsusutil checkhealth from c:\program files\update services\tools. To make sure the IUSR_server user account is in sync with AD, IIS Metabase and IIS virtual directories do the following:

Edit c:\Inetpub\AdminScripts\ADSutil.vbs

Search for the line that reads "IsSecureProperty = True" and change it to "IsSecureProperty = False". Save and close the file.

From command line run:

Cscript adsutil.vbs get w3svc\anonymoususerpass

This will return an output like this:

anonymoususerpass : (STRING) "ThisIsTheIUSRaccountPassword"

Take note of the password, INSIDE of the quotes. The quotes are not part of the password. For safety, copy it into notepad.

Go to either Active Directory (if a domain account is used for the IUSR account) or find the LOCAL ACCOUNT for IUSR. In most cases IUSR will be a local account. Reset the password for your IUSR account with the password we just pulled from the IIS Metabase.

Open IIS Manager and expand the WSUS (or default) website where the WSUS Virtual Directories are located. Right-click on the vDir >>Properties >>Directory Security >>EDIT. Update the IUSR account with the password we pulled from the IUSR Metabase. Do this for each of the below vDir's:

ClientWebService
    Content
    DSSAuthWebService
    Inventory
    ReportingWebService
    ServerSyncWebService
    SimpleAuthWebService
    SelfUpdate
    If WSUS is the only website on this server, do a IISRESET. If it is not, just stop/start the WSUS Administration website in IIS.

IMPORTANT: If WSUS is the only website on your server you will be safe to reset the IUSR account. If it is not the only web application running on your server, consider copying the old IUSR account and create a new account called something like IUSR_WSUS and use this account and its password to configure your WSUS vDIR's in IIS.