Thread: Getting Client Connection 80072ef Error on WSUS

Getting Client Connection 80072ef Error on WSUS

I am using Windows 2000 server. Along with this there is one more server attached on the same network. It is Windows Server 2003 with WSUS. The first one is the Primary Domain Controller with ADS & DNS. After configuring the group policies I had updated all the clients and there were no issues. Checking WSUS update list I found that all updates are done and there is nothing listed pending. There is no firewall nor any virus scanner in the system. After adding the domain users to WSUS I found that the clients are not able to connect to the WSUS server. I checked all the settings which were fine and they must receive updates. But still the logs says the connection failure. The error shown in the logs is related to 80072efd update failure.

Try to provide the details of proxycfg.exe. There might something that I can help, but need more detail on the same. Try to run proxycfg.ext -u on the workstations and then post the log here.

I need help on the same. I had only one server with WSUS and there are around 11 workstations. But they are unable to connect. After running WSUS Client Diagnostics Tool everything looks to be working fine. There is no issue with the update or simply with the service that is associated with running service. The error that I had seen in the log was same 0x80072efd. The error was connection fail to establish. I found the link that provides a bit update on issue but does not really helped much.

Temporary connection-related errors may occur when you use Windows Update or Microsoft Update

re: Getting Client Connection 80072ef Error on WSUS

It is a clear cannot connect error. There is no response from the webserver when the clients tries to communicate. That can be related to some kind of url or some reasons. Did you verified the settings properly. Also if possible check the update url once. The service may be altered or stopped due to the issue. There can be misconfiguration settings related to the port number or IP address. Ensure that your security service is not blocking the incoming or outgoing request. Check and verify your proxy settings as well.

Did you tried to manually download the update as per the links listed in WSUS. Check them in your browser. You can allow access to the WSUS server under Windows Host file. That would help for the connectivity. Also check the anonymous permission for accessing the updates also. Basically connectivity errors mostly appear when your client receive a block or invalid ip.