Thread: WSUS Proxy Authentication Error

WSUS Proxy Authentication Error

I am receiving this error: (System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (407) Proxy Authentication Required), which occured after we changed our default gateway for the network this stand-alone WSUS server resides on. However, WSUS has never been nor is it currently configured to use a proxy server. Neither is Internet Explorer on the system WSUS resides on. We are running the latest build of WSUS (Build 2.0.0.2472). Fifty nodes are now not receiving updates. Please help. Below is the Details of the failure log:

WebException: The underlying connection was closed: Unable to connect to the remote server. ---> System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (407) Proxy Authentication Required.
    at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.CheckFinalStatus() at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetRequestStream(IAsyncResult asyncResult) at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetRequestStream() at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters) at Microsoft.UpdateServices.ServerSyncWebServices.ServerSync.ServerSyncProxy.GetAuthConfig() at Microsoft.UpdateServices.ServerSync.ServerSyncLib.InternetGetServerAuthConfig(ServerSyncProxy proxy, WebServiceCommunicationHelper webServiceHelper) at
    Microsoft.UpdateServices.ServerSync.ServerSyncLib.Authenticate(AuthorizationManager authorizationManager, Boolean checkExpiration, ServerSyncProxy proxy, Cookie cookie, WebServiceCommunicationHelper webServiceHelper) at Microsoft.UpdateServices.ServerSync.CatalogSyncAgentCore.InternalGetConfig() at Microsoft.UpdateServices.ServerSync.CatalogSyncAgentCore.CatalogSyncThreadProcessReal(Boolean allowRedirect)

Re: WSUS Proxy Authentication Error

If neither WSUS or IE have been defined to use a proxy, then this is probably the result of a network-transparent proxy/firewall re-directing traffic. Probably a firewall on your network has stopped the traffic,
    is modifying it, rejecting it, or redirecting it to a proxy that requires authentication. Thats the only way you can get 407.

One other possibility: Is there a DHCP-defined proxy setting, or even an Automatic proxy script ?

RE: WSUS Proxy Authentication Error

There is a IWSS (Trend Micro Interscan Web Security Suite) that is defined as a proxy for client machines via Group Policy for Internet Explorer, however that policy is not assigned to servers such as the WSUS server. And my firewalls do not block any outgoing services at this location. Do be aware that this has been in place for some time and this behavior started happening after the default gateway was modified for the network which is assigned via DHCP to client machines. Tracerts show proper direction for web requests from the WSUS server to the new gateway.

Hi,

Is this a WSUS Sync problem or a problem with the Clients not being able to access the WSUS Server? If it is a problem with the clients, then are "they" configured to use the Proxy? I have an ISA proxy that requires
    authentication. For the Clients to successfully connect to the WSUS server, even internally, I had to add an ISA rule "do not use proxy" for any network traffic TO the WSUS Server's IP.

This is a WSUS sync error, not a client connection error. Tho I am not that familiar with ISA server, if your WSUS server is on the local network with the clients in questions, I would probably just bypass the proxy server for local addresses in Group Policy.

Hi,

Oh, that policy is enabled. It doesn't make a difference though. It is the firewall client that is the problem. If it is installed then it talks to the ISA for all http: traffic.

I am assuming it is something to do with your proxy getting involved. Have you thought to just add it and the authentication account?

We are not using an ISA server. Our proxy is an anti-virus/anti-spyware screen which is only used if an application has a proxy definition within it or uses the proxy defined in IE. While WSUS has the facility to define the proxy within the app, it is not defined which means it is not using a proxy. Nor is IE using a proxy on the WSUS server.

Hi,

With my proxy, if the proxy isn't defined in IE or with the client than the machine cannot access the internet at all. There is no "bypass" option otherwise my users would bypass it. Do you have a "bypass proxy" option on your network? Does the machine directly connect to the internet without any problems? Can you go to Windows Update manually on it without using any defined proxy?

The one sure way to test it is to take the WSUS server and plug it directly into the internet connection and see if it works then. If so then it is the proxy being a problem (defined or not). This was in the help menu I found for WUS beta.

To configure your firewall. If there is a firewall between WUS and the Internet, you might need to configure the firewall to ensure that WUS can obtain updates. The WUS server uses port 80 and port 443 to obtain updates from Microsoft Update. This is not configurable. If there is a firewall between your network and the Internet, you might have to open port 80 for HTTP protocol and port 443 for HTTPS protocol.
    • If your organization does not allow those ports and protocols open to all addresses, you can restrict access to only the following domains so that WUS and Automatic Updates can communicate with Microsoft Update:
    http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com
    http://*.update.microsoft.com
    http://download.windowsupdate.com
    http://*.download.windowsupdate.com
    http://wustat.windows.com
    http://ntservicepack.microsoft.com

Cheers,

He is not using a proxy, so please stop posting stuff about his proxy server. Do you have a static IP? and did you change the default gateway on your WSUS server? Let me know if you have solved the problem.

Hi Jean,

Actually, in Luis post he said he IS using a Proxy server in his network. <quote from E2Engine>"Our proxy is an anti-virus/anti-spyware screen which is only used if an application has a proxy definition within it or uses the proxy defined in IE".<end quote>

IF you have anything to post then PLEASE reply directly to his post (rather than mine) and PLEASE REFRAIN from telling me what to Post. I believe it is a Proxy issue or WSUS wouldn't be giving him a Proxy Authentication error. You have every right to believe differently however, I would rather if you stuck to helping him out with other suggestions rather than slagging my posts.

Fix for me

Hi

I has the same problem and was using a proxy :)

Fix for me was to set the proxy server in WSUS and I.E. Originally it was set in WSUS only and not I.E. Issue only occurred when we upgraded to WSUS 3.0.

Re: WSUS Proxy Authentication Error

You must have done something else, because merely setting the proxy server in IE won't have a nit of impact on the operation of WSUS.