Thread: wsus 3.0 fails on server 2008 r2

wsus 3.0 fails on server 2008 r2

Hi,

I have Windows server 2008 r2 64bit configured as a DC, Exchange 2007, Antivirus server and a DFS replication partner to the US over a sonicwall vpn connection (small office for 5 people, so everything on 1 server to cut costs).

I tried downloading wsus 3.0 and running the installer, it gets to halfway and then fails, gives an error about internal database - the microsoft help resolver mentions trying to download wyukon sp2, which I tried but still no luck. I've also tried installing the microsoft 2005 report viewer redistributable, but no luck.

Tried uninstalling wsus, rebooting and re-install, but still it fails. I then tried installing wsus as a server role, the installation works, but when I go to open the wsus admin console I get an error about not being able to connect to the wsus server (just a blank admin console, with a copy error to clipboard message).

All installations are using the default options, I've installed wsus on 2003 and 2008 previously without any problems.

Has anyone come across this before?
    I know what Microsoft's official answer is, but do you think we're attempting to run too many services on the same server?

Any advice appreciated

thx

Dan

Re: wsus 3.0 fails on server 2008 r2

First thing I would like to ask you that have you run the installation on the console? Otherwise the issue was raised here on several occasions. Controlled in the registry: HKLM \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \ Session Manager \ Returns the here? PendingFileRenameOperations If so, delete and try again. Is a wininit.ini in the Windows directory? If so, delete and try again. And also let lodctr / r run on the Comandline. I think that this will surely help you. Otherwise, you can visit Installing WSUS 3.0 Server in Windows Server 2008 SP2 for more help.

Willard,

Thanks for the tip, check for the file and reg key, neither existed.

Not sure why, but just tried to re-install wsus using the same add server role method and it worked!

The only thing I can think of is a bandwidth lag or another process was blocking something before,..

Just a quick question, is it common practice (bear in wsus running on a DC) to have wsus upgrade the server itself and core services (exchange 2007)

thx

Oh forgot to mention, I used a custom site and not the default iis site, why this should make a difference i'm not sure