Thread: Asus U1F Notebook

Asus U1F Notebook

Even though you may not think of Asus as a big player in the notebook market, it's worth remembering that this huge company actually Taiwanese manufacturers notebooks for some of the big brands that you will be very familiar with. With that kind of know how behind it, it comes as no surprise that Asus can create notebooks that give the likes of Sony and Apple a run for their money, and the U1F that I'm typing on right now is a prime example. With that kind of know how behind it, it comes as no surprise that Asus can create notebooks that give the likes of Sony and Apple a run for their money, and the U1F that I'm typing on right now is a prime example.

Here are my impressions:
    So for Asus U1F: it is simply wonderful! No regret, really

The bundle:
    • 2 batteries: 3 cells and cells 6 (She is just the computer)
    • A bag. Visually very nice. The interior is smooth, a bit like the polar regions. There are two cords with elastics to maintain the laptop firmly in place. It can fully file the size of the computer. There was not anything more inside (not the extra battery, nor the reader / writer).
    • CD burner / DVD externally.
    • A wireless mouse bluetooth black. Warning it does not comes with batteries.
    • 2-year international guarantee
    • 2 towels. one to clean the screen, the other for the top lid.
    • A beautiful box of Asus. The computer is well protected for transport. It is a jewel box.

First impressions:
    Personally I love black color, the level design, therefore it is perfect. The mixture chrome / black leather / black lacquered is the most beautiful effect. The assembling is solid. The hinges are rigid. The black leather is not too flashy. I find the black leather very discreet and sober. The computer is slightly awkward on the back (approximately 0.5 cm).

The first launch is fairly long. This is because I think of Vista that indexes the entire hard drive. Software to settle. The different parameters to register. Can be said that on a hard drive 4200 rts / min is a bit hard at the beginning.

Autonomy:
    Hard to say because I have not measured and Vista seems to be difficult to assess consumption that is the charge remaining. The figures are what I got around, not timed.
    Battery three cells: 1h30 to intense (hard disk bottom, wireless and bluetooth on, max brightness), at 2:30 min (toll-son off, brightness min), if not in use office 2:00 (wifi on 50%)
    Batteries six cells: same thing, but a double
    Note: I have noticed that the bluetooth consumed a lot. You feel the difference on autonomy. Moreover, the screen is very bright. I usually make substantive brightness but frankly to 100% on a full-eyes! Also 50% is quite sufficient. But for films to 100% is a true delight.
    Edit: I started this article at 10.10 am, it is 11:30 on me that I still 1h (45%) of autonomy. (3 battery cells)

Keys:

Personally I like it is hitting hard, firm. I do not like keyboards too soft at the base as vaios. The keys though slightly smaller remain comfortable to work over a long time. The right shift key is tiny. The key space responds even when you press on his side. Ctrl and Fn are well positioned. The shortcuts are standards (stand-brightness, external display, communication sans-son, volume etc).

The sound:
    I think sound card for the laptop is exceptional. There is only one speaker. It is not very powerful. Just enough for personal use or to work quietly to music. On external speakers i have nothing to do with my previous portable personal. After test, I see a real difference in sound between a sony Tx, dell inspiron 640, ibm T60p, acer 1692. Elsewhere the asus software is provided for applying sound effects. Very pleasant surprise on this side there for those who enjoy a quality music.

Noise / heat:
    Very subjective, but its good I'll try to describe. At the edge it breaks all the time. As against with the soft light. If there is any noise outside (a bird that sings, for example) you will hear absolutely nothing. But in a room completely silent we can hear. There is the presence of scratch disk drives from time to time and the fan. As it is a 11" there is a tendency for the laptop closer to the body and therefore ears. We hear but it remains low. Nothing to do with my old thinkpad T60p which would go for a pentium4 next:

For heat, leather totally isolate the wrists of the heat. Moreover, is affected is mild. Very comfortable sum. The underside of the laptop is warm / hot. I noticed that the bluetooth turned it heating advantage without becoming hot huh. I was a little afraid of the heat on this ultraportable, but it is not. Case to follow with the summer heat.

Power:
    Apart from the start, with the hard drive completely saturated, transfer large files, it fully supports Vista. No slowdowns noted. The portable is reactive. Its only fault lies (from the hard drive of course) in memory. One seems fair go for Vista. If you do that office it will go. However, if you have music, mail, Internet, and at the same time documents will open but can rowing a little. A little I said huh. It saturates not too many rather than, me, I think 1.5Gb pass 2.5Gb see if I can.
    I tried Photo shop, the launch is quite long, but after retouching for basic filters and a few corrections here and there it passes without problems. Videos both Dvix or DVDs are very fluid. The opposite would have been surprising:
    If not for the moment I put all the time in hibernation. It has a grip effective in 25 sec. In boot it takes more than 1min30, bit effective, I think.

The screen:
    As I said earlier the screen is very good and powerful. Its greatest quality is its high contrast and excellent color rendering. I leave most of the time luminosté to 50%, that is already very bright. I want to say that 50% on this portable it corresponds to 100% on others. The lighting is uniform, does not harm the eyes. Unless you work on Word for example, black on white, with the brightness to 100% with spectacles on eyes. The colour and I feel good. In addition, the portable black enriched colors of the screen. The contrast is even more sensual.
    The top of the portable is black lacquered piano or a mobile Lg chocolate which is very nice. I was afraid at the dirt or borrowed fingers. After three days and after a lot fiddling, I see none. I was afraid because the FNAC was really very dirty: one has to clean once every two weeks I think.

Connections:
    In terms of connections it is complete (card reader, USB, Firewire, vga, modem, ethernet, pci express, microphone and headphone plug, switch communication without sound). The presence of 4 usb ports is a big plus. There are perhaps even too: Ah yes, the external drive can not connect on a usb port on the left. In fact taking consists of a USB port and food coast to coast. This can not be trouble with food for the drive. On the other hand, could not connect the drive on another computer (unless it is like asus U1f). I know it's not very clear explanation. I invite you to look at pictures on the left side, you understand very quickly.

The webcam:
    I thought that the resolution vga of 0.3 million pixels would be a bit low. After using msn i saw the images to be clear. Moreover, the webcam is not too sensitive to movements, so the image does not become blurred the slightest movement headache. By cons I have not yet tried a full-screen image quality. The microphone is installed in the upper right of the keyboard. The sound is correct. The background noise although this gene does not understand the communication.

Software:
    It is complete. I'm happy because there are not too many unnecessary software. Except that I have Norton uninsatalled to put my license of nod32. Particularly from the liveupdate of Asus software that verifies that the drivers, software is a day. It's very convenient. The software borrowed digitally is very well done. Menus are clear, we know what we're doing. I was also a little afraid of the efficiency of reader borrowed because it is a little bit.
    I have not encountered any problems. It is reactive, one run is enough. No need to spend 36 times over to finally logging. However, I regret a little place. The gene I find a little between the two touchpad buttons.Visually beautiful, but technically it is questionable.

Conclusion:
    Seriously for a price of £1,399.00 (Inc VAT) is really a very good value for money Given the bundle, its power regrette absolutely not the vaio TX which is unaffordable. The difference between the two will mainly serve the lifestyle of publics. You want to travel light? You do not need 7am consecutive autonomy? You write, read CD or DVD once a month? With both batteries in office with the wireless turned on, I get a range from 5.30 am-7 am. Not bad I think

In the end:
    The most: Gentle, autonomy, quiet fan, pretty design (that is personal but good), webcam.
    Least: slow hard disk (+ faster than the average in its class, however), 1gb ram just a little under vista, norton (yes I not love this one )

It seems to me that the external DVD burner is on the Asus while on the Sony is integrated

The brightness of the screen is slightly more "skated" also ...