Thread: Logitech G510 Gaming Keyboard

Logitech G510 Gaming Keyboard

If we talk about gaming keyboard, then the first thing that comes in mind is features. A gaming keyboard is different and has additional options compared to the regular one. For example the most common things that you can easily find on such type of keyboard is Macro keys. This are specially designed programmable keys that helps you to do your function with single press. For example in G510 I can assign Alt+F4 to a single key. When I hit that the existing window on the screen is closed. Now how does this helps while playing game. Lets take example of some games. To test I installed Counter Strike one of the most popular and still played FPS game and NFS. Both own a different set of key combination. In Counter Strike we the default WASD key for movement and the number keys on the top to change weapons. While in NFS we use the arrow keys. But one of my friend uses Shift + Z + X + C keys. Shift is used for running, Z for left, X for right and C for backward movement. And I use WASD for movement. If he wants to play he has to modify the key settings manually inside the game. And the same then I will have to do to play it in my way.

With G510 you can create multiple game profiles. You can simply load that at the time of playing game through Logitech G-Series Key Profiler or through the LCD. And done you are on your way to play the game with best settings. So in this way a proper gaming keyboard must own features like quick profile keys, a LCD screen so that you do not require to pause your game and change settings and a set of backlit. So that the keys are well visible when you are playing in low light.

Appearance & features :

Logitech G510 possess all this abilities plus it offers more. We will check everything in detail later on. Lets first talk about the appearance. If you are planing to get a gaming keyboard then remove the idea of small or compact design. Compared to regular keyboard G510 is 30 to 40% larger. It will not fit on small space. The extra macro key panel on the left side increases the width and lcd at the top side increases its layout. Check out a small image below. I had also added a video review which gives more detail on it. As we were talking about the design, it has a single black color paint. G510 is marked above arrow keys. This makes the backlit beneath keys glow better in dark. I had tested the keyboard by a few minute typing. As per my experience this is not meant for working. It is not a typing kind of device. It is meant especially for gaming only were you use a set of keys only. It comes with a high speed usb interface that avoid latency while playing game. Experience gamers faced major issue due to slow responsive keys. The usb interface offers high response time. The left part is the macro keys while there is nothing specially on the right side. The central area offers the default keyboard layout. The LCD is placed on the top with 5 additional keys to operate it. There are some set of multimedia key placed on the right top and roller that manages your audio volume. Compared to buttons a roller is more comfortable is changing the audio volume. It allows you to get more precision in getting the exact sound you want to listen. All keys comes with a small light below. The three keys on top left M1, M2 and M3 helps you to change colors. You can add a color from Logitech G-Series Key Profiler software. While changing colors you can see the live preview on the key board lcd.

Re: Logitech G510 Gaming Keyboard

G510 Gaming Keyboard Video Review

The top panel is additional. This includes the LCD also. The top panel consist of M keys, macro key, Star/Context Menu disable key, headphone/mic mute button, backlit on/off button and set of multimedia keys. It will be much easier for you to remember if divide the keyboard in forms of panel. So that while playing game you do not require to find the keys. It will take a bit time to get use to it. Logitech G510 features a GamePanel LCD Technology. Due which it becomes much easier for a gamer to find game information, control and program the gameplay as per his needs. You can create scripts and launch them using the LCD. Some of the features provided are meant for advance users only.

The last thing that remains is the wrist pad. Logitech added that with the package because gamers have a very common habit of sitting at single place for long time. Compared to regular work, when we play games, we put a bit more strain on our fingers and wrist. That can generate pain later on. Wrist pad allows your hand to lie down and take rest whenever there is some time. Also it is very comfortable to use. After adding the pad the keyboard looks more larger. Other than this, there are no additional thing to check out.

Logitech G510 comes with a CD that has all important software needed to configure it. As it is a plug and play device, you can use the keyboard directly without using the disc. But to activate the additional features like configuring the macro keys or using LCD, you have to use the CD. After setup it will install two software in your computer. Logitech LCD Manager and Logtech G-Series Key Profiler. This two essential tools allow you to configure G510 a per your need. The key profiler allows you to customize all the G keys from 1 to 18 through software. Plus you can create yoru own profile also. After setup it offers you profile for 153 gamers. The LCD manager allows you to modify settings of keyboard LCD. You can add remove applications from it, you can set a program in the lcd, enable quick program switching and read a guide to operate this. Both tools are very easy to understand and configure. I found it a kind of one stop solution for gamers. Along with this CD also has World of Warcraft Trail. You can instantly test that if you do not have any game. There are two more software available. The first one is Ventrilo. This is a VoiP software used by gamers to communicate with players through headphone/mic. It is easy to manage while playing. The second is Curse Agenst. A kind of updater tool for your games. It tells you about all important updates available for your game. You can use it to install add-ons also.

Macro Key Programming :

We had discussed long on the appearance. Lets talk something on software level. In terms of a gaming keyboard, I expect something that is advance and faster. I had mentioned about latency above. Latency is the response time when you hit the key and the command reaches the processor. The more lower it is, the faster you can move or attack in the game. Along with this the FPS also matters a lot. The keyboard has nothing related to your game fps. That is entirely on the gpu you are using. So better get a good system if you want to utilize the full potential of G510. The programmable keys are somehow important part to discuss and understand. To save your time, there are some ready to use game patches provided for the keyboard. You can find the list on official website. This patches configure the game settings properly with the keyboard, saving time for manual configuration. G-Series key profile offers a gui based simple interface to deal with key programming. You just need to put a little effort to understand how this really works. That is the reason I am adding this separately.

G Series Key profiles has a single window interface. The top menu allows you to create profiles while the center part are for modifying the settings of G1 to G18 keys divided into 3 parts (M1 to M3). You just need to click on that the key and you can see a small context menu that allows you to record macro or simply assign a keyboard shortcut. You can also assign a text block and script to the key. It is multi functional to use G510.

Conclusion :

Logitech G510 might be a older keyboard, but better for intermediate gaming. It does not offers complicated settings and keys on the body. It has a very straight forward design and capable of offering you maximum performance instantly. The best part of going with this keyboard is the usage simplicity. With just mere understanding you can easily identify how to modify the settings and save your time. At the time of gameplay you can switch to the customized profile as per your choice. The keyboard lacks a set of scripts that must be provided official for different games. But mostly are customized by the user itself and distributed around the web. I will also not mark the keyboard as outdated. The issue with G510 is, that it still uses V3.05 of Key Profiler and LCD Manager.

The newer edition which is 8.xx offers more better option and better layout. There is no chances of using the new edition on older keyboard. That is the only thing it lacks. You might not get happy with some older applications and interface of LCD, while other than this keyboard is best for gaming. Logitech G510 cost $120 which is not a bad investment. But still it is recommended that you must check for newer models and if they are costly then you can opt for G510.