Thread: Sony Xperia S Smartphone

Sony Xperia S Smartphone

Sony Xperia S was announced in CES 2012. Now it is interesting to see that this is the first Smartphone to have the Sony brand name after sony and Ericsson went separate ways. Specification wise it is looking a great phone with a 4.3 inch screen having Sony's Bravia HD technology, 12 megapixel camera, Android 2.3 OS and many more. The only concern is the price which is approx Rs. 35,500 I.N.R

First lets begin up having a close look at its design

Design

The phone definitely looks smart in our hands. It has a clean monolithic design and sports a transparent strip at the base of the phone which lights up when the phone is turned on. Having the dimension of 128 x 64 x 10.6mm it looks pretty huge in our hand much like the galaxy S2. Although it would have been better if they could have reduced the weight of the phone. the phone appears to be heavy at 144grams.

The unlock button and the 3.5mm headphone jack can be found at the top of the phone while the right side of the phone has volume buttons, a HDMI out socket and a dedicated camera button.

The screen of this phone is measured 4.3 inches long diagonally, and supports the resolution of 1,280 x 720 pixels. The clarity is superb with the LCD of the phone giving ppi (pixel per inch) of about 342. Much better than the iPhone. So viewing photos or texts would be fun for you in this phone. Almost all the details would be visible.

On looking at the rear side of the phone we are again disappointed to find the body made of plastic. We can also see a 12 megapixel camera and a Sony Ericsson logo as well. Which is really not understandable. On removing the back coer we found that the phone has a micro sim slot and also a sealed battery. That means you cannot remove the batter under any circumstances. This leaves a few question marks in the design department.

Specification and Features

Here I have listed down the specifications of this phone

- Android 2.3 operating system upgradeable to android 4.0
    - 4.3 inches screen size
    - Dual-core 1.5 GHz processor
    - Adreno 220 GPU
    - 12 megapixel camera with autofocus and led flash
    - Video recording 1080p@30fps
    - NFC supported
    - Internal storage 32GB and no support for external memory, 1GB RAM
    - Supported 2G network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
    Supported 3G network HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100 - LT26i
    - Li-Ion 1750 mAh battery
    - Micro sim card
    - Adobe flash support, TV launcher, HDMI port, java support, A-GPS support and GLONASS.

Sony Xperia S comes with a android 2.3 operating system which is quite normal these days because majority of the android phones do come with that same operating system. I would have been happy to see ICS with it. Starting with the interface, sony has always given some interesting widgets to work on with. Now we have Xperia wallpaper being live. I must admit that it looks absolutely great. The 4.3 inch screen combined with sony bravia hd technology adds a new dimension to the screen. Xperia S has 5 home screens but there is no option for adding more home screen in the phone. The home screen of this phone does not have a android notification at the top, which we can slide down to access basic things like wifi and Bluetooth and the regular updates. This is a big miss I must say. The app fare is also not a big thing at all since there is no option of re arranging the icons the way we want. However they are pretty neatly arranged in 4 x 5 grid.

Sony Xperia S has a 12 megapixel camera at the back and a 1.3 megapixel camera at the front for the video calling. Some of the shots that we took from the camera gave us some amazing clarity with the hd screen. The only inability that we found in the camera of this phone is to zoom. While zooming in and clicking the pictures we could see the pixilated images on the screen. Rest the panoramic shots and the hd video recording is quite good.

Sony Xperia S has a Near field communications (NFC) feature in it which is quite handy. NFC tags called "SmartTags" allows you to setup profiles much easily. Now these nfs can be stuck anywhere you want. It provides tags that will help you change the settings when you want it. for an example if you want your phone to be switched from silent to general when you move out of the house. So you can program that and save it as the smart tag and pasted in the front wall. So whenever you are going out it gets tapped on and the settings gets changed.

Performance

On checking the performance of this phone the dual core processor is a real zippy one. No matter how much applications you start in this phone it has never appeared to lag a bit. I was really impressed with it. I played a lot of graphic intense games in it still no lag effect. Pretty impressive.

Call reception was quite good. The voice clarity is pretty good with no call drop rates.

Battery is the only point of concern when it comes to the performance. Hardly lasts till 12 hours in the daily use and that’s not a good sign initially. Also considering the fact that the battery of the phone is sealed and cannot be removed.

re: Sony Xperia S Smartphone

Conclusion

Overall the phone looked good. Yes there are several minus points that I would like to point out one is the bad rare body design of the phone the second is the sealed battery, micro sim card and last but not the least ICS upgrade. Its not sure when it will be upgraded to ICS. Though the sony people are claiming that they will be doing by the end of this year. Its wait and watch. Having mentioned all the negative points I must say that there are lots of positives about this phone the design, the camera, the hd screen, the processor and the looks. It easily outweighs the negative ones.

The specifications of the phone is compared with the galaxy nexus and having compared the prices, then Sony Xperia S looks much cheaper than the galaxy nexus. However the bad battery and plastic body design are the major let downs for this phone which might have forced the Sony people to bring the price to Rs. 35,500 I.N.R.