Thread: D-Link Dir-825 router

D-Link Dir-825 router

The Dir-825 is a router which is mainly suitable for home use.

In the box is the following:
    • Dirc-825 router
    • Adapter
    • CD with installation wizard
    • A setup guide
    • 1.5 meters long CAT5 cable
    • Warranty booklet with information
    • Plastic bag with screws, and rubber foot pluges

On this router are 4 lanport, an ethernet port and a USB port. Here I come later in this review have back.

Installation & features
    The installation of this router is very easy to be implemented through the supplied CD. On the CD are the Quick Router Setup Wizard. This wizard, the router automatically to the data. For example, if you set your router to protect with a password, or WPA key you want to use the wireless connection.

All these institutions are also post via the web interface. Here you can also other settings that are not using the wizard to be. The web interface can be, for example, the default DHCP settings, the firewall configuration and extended port forwards set up enough options so.

Features:
    On the router are a few interesting functions. If there is a possibility of an external usb device to connect. Deze This can then through the network be approached. For example a printer or external hard disk, so that you do not have to share 1 of your PCs in your network.

Extension to the free 5 GHz frequency band

The frequency band of 5 GHz is wider and less congested than the 2.4 GHz band used by most wireless devices today (including the general public devices such as wireless phones, intercoms for the Baby , Bluetooth adapters, etc).Having at their disposal up to 23 channels that do not overlap on the band frequencies of 5 GHz (against only 3 channels for the 2.4 GHz band), users are guaranteed service quality and full flow required to perform perfectly even the more sensitive to delays, such as streaming of multiple high-definition videos on the network.In addition, the router implements a "good neighbor" that is to ensure that it does not create interference on neighboring systems. To do this, it reduces the radio frequency band used when it detects a network 802.11a/g/b existing nearby.

SHAREPORT

SharePortTM technology can transform your USB printers and storage devices into existing network devices that all can share.You can connect any storage device or USB printer to the router, and access to any network location.

Wireless Security Simplified

This router is compatible with the technology WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup), a standard Wi-Fi Alliance for the security of wireless transmissions. To operate, simply press a button.With this technology, the name of your wireless network (SSID) and encryption keys are generated automatically and sent to client devices.You do not need to memorize complicated passwords or to enter multiple times.Configuring security on the wireless network is greatly simplified.

Another handy feature is that the firewall can block ports at certain times (sort of parental control). You can also limit the speed of the ports on the router.

The router uses the "Green Ethernet" technology. This power savings in the ports that are not used, they are only switched on again when actually what is connected. They can also via a scheduler (task scheduler) will be displayed when the wireless connection should be disabled, for example at night.

Speed

For the speeds of the router to test, I use the program Iperf. This program may speed test without the hard disk tests affected. Also I use an extra laptop.
    On the desktop, I like Iperf server to act on another laptop I have sent commands to the server. The laptop and desktop are connected by 2 CAT6 cables via the router.

I voted for both wireless and wired the tests carried out several times, it was the following:

Wired:
    The speed tests I got back was 481mbit/sec average. For a 1GBit this connection, I think on the low side.

Wireless:

For this I have the cable from the laptop and disconnected the wireless connection. After setting the WPA key and various tests was this speed on 44.3mbit/sec.

Conclusion
    • Simple configuration
    • Setting options
    • Simple web interface
    • USB port

Downsides
    • Price
    • Speed is not optimal

Re: D-Link Dir-825 router

The router is compatible with the ability of real band-dual. You can configure it to separate SSID for each frequency. SharePort technology is really useful because you can share a USB device through the network by connecting to the USB port of the router. Although this function is necessary to SharePort USB network software installed on your networked PC. Its main drawback is that the connected device can be accessed by only a networked PC one at a time.