Thread: Intel Core i7 990x processor

Intel Core i7 990x processor

AMD or Intel, how two giants of the microprocessors that are presented as eternal rivals can offer processors still no real competition. If processors hexacore is a good example that illustrates this. Indeed it was on one side with Intel processors overpowered rates boring and the other with AMD hexacore performance smaller and much more affordable rates. One would think that Intel Core i7 so have 6 hearts less powerful story to be closer to the AMD but it's actually the opposite happens. Indeed, Intel released Core i7 Extreme 990x in February, launched at the regular price of $ 999. This is simply the most powerful desktop processor from Intel. It is positioned above the 980X, which will probably eventually disappear from the founder's fee schedule. But in reality, compare the six six-core Intel Core AMD is like comparing apples at the moment and pears or Formula 1 for cars. The Intel hexacore perform better and also enjoy the 12 threads with support for Hyper-Threading. Phenom II X6 come more competitive with Intel quad-core. Although some of the giant quad Santa Clara are from time to time in the wind hexacore AMD. In short, waiting for the next generation Phenom with Bulldozer, Intel did a little of what it wants, until further notice. We saw Succession sockets also what we were told it was time that AMD returns to the center stage of history to think more about Intel in its strategic choices.

The Core i7 990x is compatible with socket LGA 1366 there appeared two and a half years. It therefore takes place on motherboards built around the X58 socket remains true to the old chipset with full functionality as opposed to P55, P67 and similar. This high-end platform is however bound to be replaced this year by the platform using the LGA 2011/1351 and due out late 2011. In terms of scalability, the LGA 1366 is therefore somewhere condemned as most Intel socket out from the socket LGA 775. Should we then invest in a Core i7 990x $ 999? The answer to this question in your head is not in 99.9% of cases. We propose however to see what side you get through our test between the high-end Intel processors and other things.

Core i7 990x

Core i7 Extreme 990x is above the hierarchy from the top of Intel's six core totaling 12 threads with support for Hyper-Threading. Format LGA 1366, it took a seat on motherboards based on Intel X58 chipset. Boasting a fine engraving of 32 nanometers, the 990x runs at 133 MHz more than the 980X it replaces. Its multiplier dropped to 26 with turbo modes 28 when one or two cores are used and 27 other cases. Its maximum frequency is in Turbo mode of 3.73 GHz. For the rest, nothing changes compared to the 980X with a 6x32 KB L1 cache for data and 6x32 KB for instructions. The second-level cache is to share 6x256 KB and 12 MB cache for level three.

Test Platform Intel LGA 1366

• Motherboard Intel DX58 SO (Smackover)
    • 2x2048 MB Corsair DDR3-1333
    • ATI Radeon HD 6870
    • Hard Drive Western Digital Raptor 150 GB system disk
    • Hard Drive Western Digital Raptor 150 GB disk data
    • CD-Rom Samsung
    • Seasonic S12 650 watt power supply
    • HP 30 inch Screen

Re: Intel Core i7 990x processor

Consumption

The configurations are described in the previous page. Our test is a first step to leave the configuration in idle on the Windows desktop, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit here. Then we run as many instances of Prime 95 and threads available. We let the PC run the way 20 minutes and note the consumer.

The 990x is a processor hungry and it is only logical. Its TDP is 130 watts as the 980X. In idle, the consumption is higher and far from the Core i5/i7 Sandy Bridge. Support, even finding with 242 watts, a high value. Only the 975 engraved in 45 nanometers consumes more. But the purpose of the 990x is not just consume but to be the most powerful above all.

Cinebench 10

Cinebench 10 is achieved by a benchmark based on Maxon Cinema 4D software whose purpose is to make a 3D image, ie a motorcycle. The benchmark provides two results: a score expressed as a CBU (Cinebench units) and the number of seconds it took for the configuration to make the image. You will find below the rendering time and score. We conducted the test mode single-threaded and multithreaded rendering. The purpose of the latter mode is to see the effects of the Turbo mode.

The 990x can do nothing FADC Sandy Bridge in this single-threaded test which shows that the Core i5/i7 on LGA 1155 are effective or very effective. Turbo mode and optimized their high amount also helps in this exercise.Using all available threads, the 990x back in front, just as the 980X. Note that the difference between the two is small.

3DSMax 2010

Under the famous software 3DSMax, our test is to make two scenes that are heavy scenes using mental ray, among others. We added all the time it took the processor to make each set of scenes and we defer this total time in the graph below.

Tests 3DSMax involve all the available threads and it is therefore logical to find the outposts hexacore Intel. The 990x is obviously a bit better than the 980X while hexacore AMD are far if we linger in the time between them.

Adobe Photoshop CS5

Photoshop no introduction because it is the software for image editing as known at present. Our test is to apply a radial blur filter over a very large image. The latter weighs 15 MB and has a resolution of 9000x9000 pixels. We measure the time needed to apply this filter that we report in the graph below.

In this test using all the available threads, the result is the same with the 990x is positioned logically before the 980X. The Sandy Bridge 2600K is still on the lookout before the hexacore AMD.

Re: Intel Core i7 990x processor

Battleforge

BattleForge is a strategy game in real time from the month of September is compatible with DirectX 11. This is a massively multiplayer game based on the principle of trading cards. We test the game in 800x600 and 1920x1200 via the built-in benchmark with all details turned up.

800x600, the Sandy Bridge take a big lead over the competition. Their optimized Turbo seems comfortable in this game should be noted that the Phenom quite ahead of Intel, but here the differences are slight. The 990x slightly improves the situation of hexacore compared to 980X but they are both back. At 1920x1200, a situation more real, but the gaps are closing the Sandy Bridge continues to be above the lot. The 990x is on its side on a par with the 980X ...

Far Cry 2

Sequel to the hit game Far Cry, Far Cry 2 was released in October 2008. It was somewhat disappointed in terms of gameplay and is quite distant from Far Cry's first name. Graphically, it remains very challenging and is able to kneel down some cards graphics. We conducted tests at 800x600 and 1920x1200 without anti-aliasing but with maximum details.

The Sandy Bridge confirm that they are comfortable in games and scored significantly higher than the competition, including 1920x1200. That side, they seem born. The 990x improves its side's score 980X but that does not meet the Sandy Bridge.

Performance Summary

We calculated the traditional summary of our performance based on the i5 2500K as an index of 100.

The Core i7 990x hexacore confirms that Intel processors are the most powerful in the world but it had a 990x to remember? To our eyes, 2600K, almost 3 times cheaper, is much more interesting ...

Conclusion

When we received our Core i7 990x, we wondered what could be the interest out of such a processor? Technically speaking, a Core i7 980X can be transformed into a 990x. It suffices to go into the bios, adjust the coefficients as those of 990x and voila. And as you can see, the performance gain compared to the 980X is certainly present, but ultimately trivial. It reminds us of the tests where new processors did only bring a few more MHz. With 133 MHz higher in frequency base and Turbo mode, you should not expect an explosion of performance with the 990x.

In fact, this processor is almost useless in itself because it does absolutely nothing new. It just allows Intel to drive a bit more nail in demonstrating its superiority, which is to push a door open. It is a reminder that the depth is at the top of the hierarchy of processors and AMD is unable to fight yet. But all that we already knew. The 990x is a bit like the Bugatti Veyron SuperSport is an even more rapid the Veyron "basic". This is just to satisfy some customers but also very fortunate to flatter the ego of the manufacturer, namely Volkswagen. With the 990x, we feel it's a bit what happens. It can therefore go for a processor arrogant. But one can also wonder if the launch does not 990x to restore visibility and boost sales a bit X58 platform, somewhat neglected since the arrival of Intel processors LGA 1156 and LGA 1155. Should we see a sign that the succession of the platform (Socket 1356 / 2011) will take longer than expected? Impossible to say since the launch date is vaguely set for the third or fourth quarter of 2011. But Intel is pushing its LGA 1366 platform is not displeasing to us, platforms LGA 1155 and especially 1156 do we have in fact never satisfied in terms of functionality, fault chipsets a bit weak.

If the Core i7 will only interest 990x happy few wealthy and overclockers, the CPU 999 dollars anyway, we can still thank it because it lowers the price of the Core i7 970 also has 6 cores. It goes from 885 to 583 dollars, a decrease of 34%. The Core i7 960 in benefits for it too see its price fall from 562 to 294 dollars, a decrease of 48%! Finally, while it is arrogant, 990x this will at least have the merit of making it more interesting to other processors LGA 1366 ...