Thread: Dell Streak mini 5

Dell Streak mini 5

Like all terminals, the Dell Streak (Mini 5) has some strengths and some weaknesses. Although he has aged a little, its capabilities are acceptable. However, I was disappointed on several points, including the original software part has to literally sabotaged. Of course, I speak of the interface builder that offered its output a true boundary, unlike the others. Some say that it does not matter, I, I feel a little bit forgotten identity.

Design:

The appearance is pleasant enough, the one we were lent an envelope surface very dark. I will not deny that I have a preference for the terminals to cool colors and dark, I find it more class and purpose. In addition, the forms are all to his advantage, and are reflected in the grip of the device. Whether such a smart phone in portrait mode, a bit bigger you tell me, or in landscape mode, where there was a clear sense of touch pad mini ultra-mobile. Note that the Dell Streak is available in two colors. Only after seeing both, I still prefer the black color that I find more discreet.

Updates:

Until now, Dell played along by putting his android phone updates to all versions of Android release following a period respectable between 2-4 months after deployment of the official version. Without going too far, I do not know if the streak will be the version of Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) official, while in the official version, though. It will undoubtedly please the tinkerers. Do not forget that Dell has endured for two major versions of Android, making the upgrade to Android 2.1 (Flash) and then to Android 2.2 (Froyo) is currently the embedded version of the system. The procedure for updating is very simple. Just simply go into the Settings |> About phone |> System Updates. This option will cause to execute a redirect to the page from Dell, stating whether or not the availability of a system upgrade. As I quoted a few lines above, I have no idea about the ports of Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) on the Streak.

Characteristics:

• Model Dell Streak (Mini 5)
    • Version Android 2.2 (Froyo) + Dell Stage IU
    • Adobe Flash Player Support Yes
    • Backgrounds 5 inches (130 mm)
    • Resolution WVGA (800 x 480 pixels)
    • Technology TFT-LCD technology capacitive dual-point
    • Processor (CPU) Qualcomm Snapdragon, QSD8250 1 GHz
    • Chipset (GPU) Adreno 200
    • RAM 512 MB
    • Internal memory 16 GB or 32 GB with 1.4 GB dedicated to Android applications
    • Support Micro SD Yes, up to 32 GB
    • APN / Camera 5 megapixel camera with double flash (LED) / Video recording at 720p
    • Webcam (front camera) Yes, 1.3 megapixels
    • Wi-Fi Yes, in the standards b / g
    • GPS / Bluetooth Yes / Yes, 2.1
    • Gyroscope No
    • Networks Quad-band 3G and 3G +
    • (7.2 Mbps / HSUPA 5.76 Mbps)
    • Compass / Accelerometer Yes / Yes
    • NFC (Near Field Communication) No
    • Dolby Mobile & SRS / DLNA No / No
    • 3.5 mm jack output Yes
    • Proximity sensor and light Yes / Yes
    • A micro-USB port (standard) Yes, 2.0
    • FM Tuner (Radio) No
    • DivX support No
    • Supported video formats H.263 / H.264, .3 GP, MPEG4
    • Audio formats supported MP3, WMA, AAC, AAC +, eAAC +, AMR, MIDI, WAV
    • Battery 1530 mAh
    • Dimensions 152.9 x 79.1 x 9.98 mm
    • Weight 220 grams
    • Release Date August 2010
    • Its output price Between 499 and 550 euros

Re: Dell Streak mini 5

Handling:

My first impressions of Android version 2.2 (Froyo) installed in the device are quite positive. The operation is correct, but not the most valuable that I had on hand. Let me explain, if we take the example on the Nexus One includes the same hardware configuration, you have a smartphone stable and fast with very few slowdowns. Streak on the version of Android is stable in its operation. However, it is not fast and has some nasty slowdowns. In everyday life, it can quickly become debilitating.

This review is based of course on the official version of the system. It's a shame because the version of Android 1.6 (Donut) was exemplary; there was a clean interface to the mark without too much issue. Android 2.1 (Flash) is then arrived, and has somewhat slowed down the interface by removing some advantages present in Android 1.6 (Donut). It was finally the turn of Android 2.2 (Froyo) that has virtually eliminated the interface of Dell ... Finally profoundly changed the system by integrating a surface interface. The word interface is not in itself appropriate to the latter, since it is only a launcher (Office customized with the integration of seven different widgets). Excuse me, but that the application LauncherPro (paid version) the other way, but the fact.

For energy management, it is more than satisfactory. It has a battery life tenacious, even connected with 3G/WiFi notifications enabled (as far as respectable). The two cameras, back or front application recognizes the image without problem. This is advantage for applications using video-conferencing, video chat like Fring, Tango, etc. with the camera. With Streak, Dell incorporates into its system houses applications. The first is called 'Welcome' and described several steps the device and its possibilities. The second is an application of Backup & Restore to backup and restore their system to a point. The last Dell Sync offers better synchronization with the computer.

Previously, I mentioned the custom interface. It is actually a set of widgets with a home (launcher) created specially by the manufacturer. This interface is named Dell Stage, and offers 7 different widgets: Home, Contacts, Gallery, Email, Music, Social (Facebook & Twitter) and Web (browser). If you put all of these widgets on the desktop was more room, since they are all part of the screen, since they are not configurable on their size.

Hardware:

At first sight, the material is in good order. There are two types of materials covering the Streak, one plastic surrounding almost all of it, and then the rear seat only metal part obscuring the present, and bringing a touch of extra strength. Indeed, if a plastic plate was put in place of the metal, she probably would not survive very long. Below the plate, there is a 1530 mAh battery, a card slot Micro SD (up to 32GB supported), and a slot for the SIM card. One can also note the presence of two metal tabs protruding from the shell, and coming to rub shoulders with detachable part. Clearly, this is a safety device to prevent starting when opened.

At the front, there are capacitive touch panel supporting a 5-inch WVGA resolution (800 x 480 pixels). The screen is a dual-touch, not multi-touch. A dual-touch screen manages a maximum of two points simultaneously on the screen. For responsiveness, it could have been more convincing. Just take the test points for quickly realizing it. On the sides of the screen, found the left front of a camera, an LED notifications, and proximity sensors and light. On the right side, three touch-sensitive sensory (Back, Menu & Home) are available. They are pretty responsive, and the pressure area is quite large.

Since the upper high, there are the audio input jack 3.5 mm, near the volume keys - / + power (on / off), and a key to a long press to access the camera / camera. On the other hand, an entry PDMi: it recharges the Streak, transfer data, to be connected to a support car or home. On the back there is a 5 megapixel camera with flash (dual-LED) video recording at 720p, a speaker can broadcast sound waves (music, ringtones, etc..), Then the metal part as quoted above contains the battery, SIM card and Micro SD. Overall, the network part is working properly. Whether it's Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, GPS or 3G. Same opinion for connections: making PDMi is reliable, the audio jack of 3.5 mm provides acceptable sound quality and density. Now we may regret the choice of making Dell PDMi. Personally, I would have preferred a less structured connectivity. Here it is necessary to have this or that to do that is binding in certain situations.

Re: Dell Streak mini 5

Photo, Video & 3D

One can easily see, the photographs taken with the streak are not models of beauty. To return to the sensor's Streak, I was pretty disappointed by the casi-existent macro mode. Please note, there is one but it is very bad. Yet, when we record a video at 720p, the quality remains interesting. Better than many smartphones that say they record HD, so they do not even have dedicated macro mode. There, the streak does not need any mode to provide quality drinking water.

Finally, the games run properly if they use the platform's 3D OpenGL ES 1.1. To and fro, I'm not ventured to try out games including OpenGL ES 2.0. Based on my experience, I would say the Dell Streak can not run games in the OpenGL ES 2.0 or with major delays. Here, the goal is not to present games that row, but to show what the Streak in the stomach.

Box Content:

• The Dell Streak (Mini 5)
    • USB cable / PDMi
    • An electrical charger (UK & U.S.)
    • A handsfree in-ear
    • An explanatory booklet for the guarantee

Price & availability

The Dell Streak (Mini 5) is available on the official site from 499 euros without contract. It now seems more to market.

Conclusion:

The Good:
    • Widescreen and comfortable
    • Good screen brightness
    • Good overall autonomy
    • High-quality speaker
    • Front camera

The Bad:
    • Lack of optimization system (official version)
    • Loss of this interface Dell Android 1.6 (Donut) & Android 2.1 (Flash)
    • Too exposed to fingerprints