Thread: Acer Iconia Tab 6120

Acer Iconia Tab 6120

Introduction
    The name of the dual screen laptops is slowly catching the name in the Indian market. So what new things does this dual screen laptop has to offer? Will it be comfortable holding it? What’s the price? Will the typing in the dual screen laptop be as comfortable as that in the other laptop? These are some of the questions that will be answered in this review.

Talking about the dual screen laptop it is being projected as a laptop that are only for the higher class, a laptop that can be seen in any of the CEO’S table as such. With the price it has been targeted at it does appears to be like that only. In reality the performance and the design is as normal as a any normal laptop. So what is it that makes it too costly? Well that’s the dual 14 inch touchscreen that is being introduced in the laptop. It takes place of the keyboard as well as the touchpad. So how exactly is the typing experience? Let me tell you that the typing experience is quite moderate having got used to typing in the iPhones as well as the iPad for small purpose it is the same experience that you get while typing in here. Anyways in the laptop typing does becomes a integral part which is not the case in the iPad. So that features does lacks in the Acer Iconia Tab 6120.

Specifications
    The Acer Iconia Tab 6120 comes with a 4GB, 667MHz DDR3 RAM, the processor is 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 480M, also there is no facility of ssd here, 640GB of External memory, it has got a integrated Intel GMA HD graphics card, running on a windows 7 operating system and weighs 2.7 KG.

Now its time to have a detailed look at all the features of this particular laptop.
    First lets start with the design

Design
    When having a overall look at the laptop the looks will not appear to be sleek. The heavy chassis is covered by light bronze lid with black accents and it looks very heavy in hands. Although we must appreciate the work to manage the 14 inch large screens in a single laptop. So that is quite commendable. So on opening the laptop it does appear that two iPads are joined in the middle and both the screens are covered by glossy edge-to-edge glass with black bezels. That’s impressive. So now you must be wondering whether how you will get the on screen keyboard in the screen. So for that what you have to do is to touch all the ten fingers slightly on the bottom of the screen and place thew palm where it is normally placed. Having done that the on screen keyboard will get appeared. However if you don’t want to go by that method then there is a dedicated physical button for the keyboard on the side of the laptop. The speakers are at the bottom and the voice quality of the speakers are quite good.

The on screen keyboard does looks good and has some larger keys to make you ease in typing. Although the functions keys does appear to be quite small and hence trying out the different key combination's can be a little cumbersome. One more negative point of this keyboard is that it does not have the auto correct feature by which your typing become simple rather it has a t9 dictionary type technology that will make the typing experience not so enjoyable.

Coming to the virtual touchpad it lies just beneath the keyboard. The control of the cursor is well managed but here also the touchpad does appears to be very small and lacks the multi touch functionality which is becoming increasingly popular among all the other laptops.

However the developers have done a good thing by the introduction of the touch control ecosystem. A jog wheel does gets launched on tapping of five fingers on the bottom of the screen and will give acess to various shortcuts like touch-friendly photo and video applications, a social media aggregator, as well as a two-screen custom Web browser and also some shortcuts to power buttons. This is a pretty cool feature introduced by them.

Screen
    The screen of the laptop is quite good with the 14-inch display that has a 1,366 x 768-pixel native resolution. You cannot see such kind of resolution in the other ordinary laptops. So basically expect some good resolutions and a thoroughly enjoyable movie watching experience. On comparing the brightness of both the screens I felt that the top screen is the brightest of them all.
    Now be prepared to hear some bad points of this laptop.

Bluetooth is not there nor does it contains a sd card slot and optical drive. So these are some of the basic things that must be present in any of the ordinary laptop. Perhaps the developers might have thought of adding some superficial features and forgot the basic features. However the usb 3.0 port is present for the exchange of files. It does have a Ethernet port present along with 802.11n Wi-Fi. Now let’s have a look at the performance of the laptop and also count the battery life of the laptop.

Performance and battery
    Now let’s have a look on the performance of the laptop. The laptop does have a good core i5 processor that will deliver performances as well as a good battery life. Although they could have gone with the sandy bridge processors but still they have stuck with the core i5 let’s see how it fares. We thought of playing a HD video on both the screens the results were good but the results were quite disappointment in the gaming department. Games such as mafia wars did lag a lot in the middle, the same was the case with nfs underground. So unfortunately for the gamers its not a good news. Lets see how did the battery perform while playing the videos. Well the results are not quite encouraging. The laptop ran for around 2 hours and 9 minutes. So that’s not a good performance. Anyways with the dual screens we cannot expect much with the battery.

Conclusion
    Overall i thought the laptop does lacks some luster and did not stand much to my expectations. I think people will take some time to get adjusted with the laptop. Overall rating that i would like to give to this particular laptop is 3/5.

Re: Acer Iconia Tab 6120

Hey wow! this definitely looks to be a good one and i am happy reading the review. Your review was quite informative and i must say i did get a lot of information on the same. Well the laptop does look smart but yes it would be very difficult to handle it also. The absence of the SD card port and the optical drive is really heartbreaking but still i think it will be able to make a name of itself in the market. Anyways thanks for the review.