Thread: Gigabyte GA-P55-UD6 Motherboard

Gigabyte GA-P55-UD6 Motherboard

Gigabyte adds to the launch of the platform Intel P55 by presenting their best product GA-P55-UD6 with plenty of features to improve end-user experience in all aspects.

Presentation :

Following the introduction of Intel P55 platform on many manufacturers began to release their products with their own characteristics which the user will have several options to choose which is really rewarding. However, in this case the company Gigabyte is responsible for approaching the GA-P55-UD6 whose cover shows impressive performance as the inclusion of 24 phases of power, Ultra Durable 3 technology and others that we will unveil over the course of review. On the opposite side we also have a wealth of information to learn more about the services offered by this model is sufficient to make a conclusive decision but depending on the cost may or may not be appealing. As usual the packaging is complete by providing your user manual, software manual (Smart 6), installation cd, plate back E / S, flexible SLI bridge, IDE and SATA cable generating the connectivity options that a user needs according to the system you want to deploy.

With a glance of the GA-P55-UD6 we realize its high level in terms of construction and use of components achieving a complete motherboard to express regret that the new P55 platform is now a unified chipset. This model stands out thanks to the incorporation of unique features to enhance both performance and efficiency in other respects. Like their predecessors (including his brother, the X58) offers a blue PCB with 2 ounces of copper and the implementation of Japanese capacitors (to lengthen the life time) which called as Gigabyte Ultra Durable 3. In addition, it is interesting the new cooling system new is based on the concept sports car, or sinks that cover the most committed in the heat (mosfets, P55, etc) are designed based on what is usually sports cars used in the cooling of their cars, although my strong point are not likely present a user knows the issue is familiar.

The distribution of the components is quite good (like colors) similar to high-quality products even though the IDE connector, as always, is located in an uncomfortable place for installation even at this stage do not think anyone use it. One of the most relevant details we can find is the integration of 24 phases of power and is close to 24 phases of the CPU socket in order to provide greater stability and degree of overclocking the system. According to Gigabyte, the technology in phases helps reduce temperatures around the CPU as the energy distribution takes the form divided without being necessary to use large heat sinks. If you ask me we can get the same results using a smaller number of stages as long as they are of good material. However, with such amount increasing speculation since it is feasible for energy loss where it is implementing its second generation Gigabyte Dynamic Energy Saver since we will not always consume large amounts of energy. All sinks are connected by a heatpipe so quickly distribute the heat to be expelled efficiently (especially for the CPU cooler).

Also you can see the socket LGA 1156 processors supporting Intel Core i7 and i5 containing DDR3 memory controller (and video) as well as AMD Phenom II. While the space looks small segment that has no problems with the installation of advanced models such as the Thermalright MUX-120 where there are drawbacks. Nor can we forget the extra 8-pin connector located in the upper right corner, required for proper operation.

Gigabyte is betting big to have six slots supporting DDR3 memory speeds rate of 2600 + / 2200/1333/1066/800 MHz Dual Channel mode, of course, in some cases by applying Overclocking. Below we have stages of power and shows the connector 24-pin main power like the power button (with a more attractive and accessible) to access the system without the need for complicated connections. The brand new PCH or better known as P55 with its own heatsink attached to the processor through the interface DMI (Direct Media Interface). Gigabyte decided to squeeze the most out of this chipset implementing the six SATA ports and plenty of USB 2.0 ports, among other things. Finally we have another heatpipe heatsink which communicates with the P55. This covers two chipsets:
    • The Gigabyte SATA 2, charged with two white SATA ports (3Gb / s) and IDE (which explains its awkward position).
    • Two JMB362, charged with remaining white SATA ports and the eSATA / USB Combo (in the rear).

As mentioned above, the P55 is responsible for six SATA ports celestial (3Gb / s) supporting RAID 0, 1, 5 and 10. Cable clarify that all the chipsets support RAID, for details contact the technical specifications. Or other side, on top we have the technology Dual-Bios which is the provision of a second BIOS chip integrated in the first case of corruption or any problem that irreversible damage occurs (eg a virus or malpractice of OC ). To make matters worse, includes a Debug Led (as in the model EX58-EXTREME) as a method of system status information so that if there is a problem we can identify in which sector has occurred.

With regard to the expansion slots, one PCIe are two and three PCIe 16x runs where the second and third 8x to 4x. Consider that Elga-P55-UD6 supports both Nvidia SLI and ATI Crossfire only in the first two slots (ie Dual mode only). This is due to the limitations of the new socket 1156. As high-end products, the integrated sound is an important issue especially if it incorporates technologies from Dolby Digital Live and Dolby Home Theater by Realteck ALC889A chipset supporting up to 7.1 channels being really an ideal choice as a platform for Gaming and Multimedia though seeing the system specifications I am inclined to the first. Undoubtedly, this model is among the highlights of the Gigabyte P55 series as well as incorporating new technologies presents a complete super rear panel. We have outputs S / PDIF (coaxial and optical), two IEEE 1394a ports, eight USB 2.0 ports and six audio jacks. Highlight the Gigabit LAN connector allows to apply especially if Smart Dual LAN technology where we can link the two to work in "team" in order to increase performance. Finally, something that has been implemented on laptops, Gigabyte has chosen to implement here eSATA / USB Combo that allows you to connect either a USB device as an external eSATA disk in the same port (it has two of this type).

Re: Gigabyte GA-P55-UD6 Motherboard

Bios :

With the introduction of P55 with Core i7 processors and i5 has generated another perspective on the Bios configuration because from the motherboard of Intel Extreme DP55KG some aspects have changed for the better. Gigabyte follow suit featuring a new Bios (Award) including, above all, compelling information about the operation (speeds, voltages, etc). One of the first screen is the MIT that provides options for configuring the computer. Here are some of them ...

It is essential to know the current operation and future (if we apply changes) so that we can reduce working time and setting variables better CPU, memories and PCH. As the initial method, it is essential to look at the state of the MIT. The Advanced Configuration screen to manipulate primarily the CPU and memory values being the binding site overclocking practices. We can also access the features of the processor (in this case a Core i7) and the Turbo Boost, Hyper-Threading (HT), virtualization and saving energy.

As we have seen, supports up to 2600 MHz DDR3 memory which is truly amazing if the voltage must be limited so as not to damage the CPU. Also supports the Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) to achieve the best performance of the reports (provided it is compatible). Another fundamental point is the ability to edit multiple voltage options to generate greater stability and enjoy a splendid 24 stages of regulation that contains the product. Because there are a fairly complete back panel is expected the long list of integrated peripherals in BIOS screen which allows enabling or not.

Technical Specifications :

CPU :
    • Support for an Intel Core i7 series processor / Intel Core processor in the i5 series LGA1156 package
    • L3 cache varies with CPU

Chipset :
    • Intel P55 Express Chipset

Memory :
    • 6 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM Sockets Supporting up to 16GB of system memory
    • Dual channel memory architecture
    • Support for DDR3 2600 + / 2200/1333/1066/800 MHz memory modules
    • Support for non-ECC memory modules
    • Support for Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) memory modules

Audio :
    • A Realtek ALC889A codec
    • High Definition Audio
    • 2/4/5.1/7.1-channel
    • Support for Dolby ® Home Theater
    • Support for S / PDIF In / Out
    • Support for CD In

LAN :
    • 2 x RTL8111D chips (10/100/1000 Mbit)
    • Support for Teaming
    • Smart Support for Dual LAN

Expansion Slots :
    • 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16 (PCIEX16_1)
    • 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x8 (PCIEX8_1) (The PCIEX16_1 and PCIEX8_1 slots Conform to PCI Express 2.0 standard.)
    • 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x4 (PCIEX4_1)
    • 2 x PCI Express x1 slots
    • 2 x PCI slots
    • Support for ATI CrossFireX / NVIDIA SLI technology Technology (The PCIEX16_1 and PCIEX8_1 slots only)

BIOS :
    • 2 x 16 Mbit flash
    • Use of licensed AWARD BIOS
    • Support for DualBIOS PnP 1.0a, DMI 2.0, SM BIOS 2.4, ACPI 1.0b

Drivers :

After assembling the system components described in the assessment stage is imperative to have the drivers for proper operation by running the installation from Gigabyte "Xpress" where groups and installs all necessary drivers with one click saving time in searching. It also provides proprietary utilities that provide hardware information or the handling of the application by Easy Tune 6 we will see shortly. Among the developments that accompany the launch of the product are the technologies Smart 6 2 Dynamic Energy Saver (DES) and Auto green to provide an optimal experience and unique in the P55 platform.

Taking into account the market prices of processors and i5 i7 Core i7 we chose the 860 because it offers great performance at an appropriate cost model as the next higher level is not very attractive especially in Latin America (in that respect of course). Another may be tempting is the Core i5 750 as the GA-P55-UD6 allows a high level of OC. The i7 860 has a multiplier of 22 running at almost 3.0 GHz (2.8 GHz the base) due to the empowerment of the Turbo Boost technology (HT). The current bios version F2d (currently) no difficulty in detecting it.

Strengths :

• Excellent performance.
    • Solid and efficient (Ultra Durable 3).
    • It has 24 stages of power.
    • Very good ability to overclock.
    • Supports up to 2600 MHz DDR3 memory (2200 Mhz audited).
    • Provides a great number of technologies such as Smart 6, DES 2 Green Auto, Smart TPM, Smart and Bios Dual-Dual-LAN.
    • Bios complete and informative.
    • Full back panel.
    • Supports ATI Crossfire X and Nvidia SLI.

Weaknesses :

• Inappropriate location and ClearCMOS Reset buttons.

Conclusion :

Gigabyte provides a wide variety of models containing the P55 chipset where the GA-P55-UD6 contained in the first place in the series which in terms of cost is reflected. However, its feature set make it into one of the most notable solutions socket 1156 to provide really important technologies to improve daily tasks and in turn energy consumption, a subject that has been trying hard in recent years. With 24 power phases, we have an efficient system worthy of practices Overclocking reaching 4.2 GHz (200 MHz bus) with Intel i7 860 would be the ideal partner for such a motherboard. It also supports advanced memory frequency to 2600 MHz where it was possible to set to 2200 MHz with no problems raising the yield on this issue in a unquestionable. Nor can we overlook the good presentation of the Bios with options including essential data on the operation of the system (present and future) in order to obtain faster results.

1. gigabyte good performance but I think the second, much complicated and if sold unmark.
    2. out makes me equal to or more than a mother to x58 with the same or better benefits.
    3. would have been nice to compared to some 775 series quad and some phenom 2, because practically is a comparison between this product and for i5 intel mother unless I am mistaken.
    4. good review.