Thread: MacBook Pro 15" Core i7

MacBook Pro 15" Core i7

It took more than ten long months, almost a week before Apple decides to market the second large revision of its MacBook Pro "Unibody." After the adoption of an SD card reader (Secure Digital Card) and a removable battery for 13 and 15''(17''was filled in this direction in its first revision, and has retained its port Express Card) ... It is the turn of multicore processors "multi-threaded" (a minimum of four process streams) to come to inflate the performance of Apple laptops.

And if the firm is once again proud to offer machines at a quality level undeniable - the design of solid aluminum frame has now been proven - it has also responded to some criticisms on previous models. Witness the new method toggle between the two graphic systems, acting dynamically and transparently to the user. The rest of the characteristics of a logical evolution proceeds with the adoption of Core i5 and i7 (mobile version) and a more powerful NVIDIA graphics, in reinforcement of the Intel HD.

The MacBook Pro 15 "consists of three models all with 4GB of DDR3, two GPUs and a glossy LCD with a 15.4-inch LED backlight. At first glance, one might think that the MacBook Pro 15 inch is more expensive than the previous version, but in the end, only the entry ticket is higher.

Apple promises, thanks to its new batteries, greater autonomy over its phones. For the 15 "is announced at 9:00 cons before 7am. We will look to the test 15 "Core i5 results for this model, and we will see later what it is for Core i7 more powerful and therefore a priori more greedy.

Sign of maturity:
    It is understood, the developments once will not hurt, are from within. Obviously, the MacBook Pro 15''Core i7 retains the special features of its predecessor, which were already excellent phone. We could check with the entry model i5 Core 2.4 GHz range, but he dons one of the most powerful versions of the Family Mobile Core i7 : Intel 620M.

With a maximum thermal envelope (Thermal Design Power) of 35 watts and 4 MB of L2 cache (1 MB larger than the Core i5), the Intel (etched 32 nm) 2.66 GHz dual-core - can handle four flows through Technology Hyper-Threading - also receives mode Turbo Boost . This increments the frequency of a single heart in increments of 133 MHz as necessary. What ensure a level of performance never before achieved on an Apple notebook (we'll check a little later).

This 15''includes a new generation of battery Lithium-polymer that offers up to 9 hours of battery life, according to its manufacturer. While on paper it will delight potential buyers, these figures are weighted more than you'll see why ...

Outside things change little compared to the model that gives way (Core 2 Duo 2.8GHz): the SD continues to enhance the use especially with camcorders and digital camera (this format card s is democratized blithely among camera manufacturers even professional).

There is still 4 GB of RAM (8GB for 360 € and more) and 500 GB hard drive as standard (other options exist, even up to 512 GB for SSD ... € 1170). In connection there are also two USB ports and one FireWire 800, USB 3.0, but not while the standard discs are announced at affordable rates.

The more original and exclusive to this range of spring 2010, is the scrolling feature "with impulse" multitouch trackpad. An effect borrowed from the iPhone which gives a very smooth navigation, both in the interface for applications, a real pleasure. We are therefore disappointed that Apple did not offer updates for older models. And nothing suggests that it is preparing to do ... Consequence of these changes, the price of this MacBook Pro installed on top of the range of family 15 is spent 2896 USD to 2965 USD.

Re: MacBook Pro 15" Core i7

Efficient LED panel:
    Two months after the arrival of the previous range of 15 "LED screen, Apple has finally provide us with a glare . And despite the criticisms made by these panels to diamond grade, we found a free rise of the intrinsic quality of the screens, just like the white MacBook (late 2009). However, it will cost € 135 to glare and accept this option to see the passage defining spend 1440 x 900 1680 x 1050 pixels (some might would complain).

We first verified the homogeneity of the slab - a model in non-HD (1440 x 900 pixels) - first in black, then gray. The slab is very homogeneous, no halos or in the corners as its basis, a phenomenon often redundant and found on some series of screens which equipped the MacBook Pro 15''from the previous generation, or even the iMac 27 ' '.

We then characterized the screen with a probe calibration Color MunkiDesign to obtain a color space suitable for the photo. Easy to use and comes with a software calibration developed by X-Rite, the probe had no problems, including diffraction, in the process of calibration. The definition of luminosity and, sometimes, the contrast was often thwarted by the thickness of the glass that protects the slab.

This enabled us to establish a profile (You can download ) and see the aftermath now that Apple's portable book with a profile factory Colorsync relatively good in terms of calibration, color space and therefore (temperature, RGB tristimulus values, chromaticity white point, etc..).

Specifically, this MacBook pro 15''LCD panel has a LED of good quality, with good contrast, bright and homogeneous addition differs from its predecessors, decried on this point. Photographers in particular will appreciate, but may prefer to opt for a version that glare, if it increases the rating of 135 € (all the same), provides access to a higher resolution. We regret however that non-HD version but glare is not available at the store while the MacBook Pro earlier Unibody were shipped home with a slab comparable.

A jump in performance:
    Like the Mac Pro Xeon and Nehalem EP, catapulted there are already more than a year and, more recently, iMac 27''( Test iMac 27 "Quad Core i5 and i7 ), the adoption of processors "hyper-threaded" by mobile middle and high-end induces a good performance (less for models with only 13''Core 2 Duo).

It must be said that the architecture of these chips includes a plethora of technologies that, beyond the frequency, deliver more computing power consistent with the multichannel data processing, and trade between the front processor cores and memory. The integration of a controller input / output and allows an influx in a wide corridor on the other hand older Front Side Bus (Bus System) - an inheritance from a distant past - real bottleneck for the data.

Documented consequences, all scores for processors have been at least sprayed. Submitted first to Xbench, still 1.3 version, then Geekbench 2.1.2 (nb: one 2.1.6 comes out), finally CineBench R10, the conclusion is obvious: the new MacBook Pro has a nice subject power.

We can already appreciate the presence and the benefits of multi-core processor architectures: Arrandale and CLARKDALE. While performance processor in the MacBook Pro 15''2.66 GHz Core i7 are barely above 23% on the high end 17''of the previous generation clocked at 3.06 GHz, we must not lose sight that these software of benchs assign grades, kinds of averages, related to indices themselves calculated on all organs of a machine ...

However if Xbench, aging, distilled scores sometimes totally random and inconsistent, especially in OpenGL (note that the results that we have evolved either 10.6 or 10.6.2), it is not so much of Geekbench reliable. However, Cinebench R10 provides sharp results are representative of the evolution of performance CPU and graphics to each generation of machines.

Although a version R11 (v11.5) of Cinebench, completely rewritten, is available, we continue - for reasons of comparison - to proceed with the R10 version. The first observation CPU side, the physical and logical cores, totaling four cores allow a gross gain of 23% compared to Core 2 Duo 3.06 GHz with a frequency top plays, in this case, an important role.

But the fare difference between a solution i5 Core and Core i7-Mobile is justified in the light she brings 14% of the high-end processor of the new phones? ... Frankly, we do not think so. Especially contrario, the Core i7 "Lynfield '2.8 GHz with 4 physical cores" hyper threaded "found in the iMac 27''high-end delivers the equivalent of 8 cores. There, mobile version, the difference is not justified.

Finally, the GeForce 330M which equips the 15''of this test does not spark, with a gain of only 10% compared to the old GeForce 9600M GT. However, if we can allow himself to think that Apple is on the marketing plan, we must consider the benefits will accrue in the future, the dual GPU solutions with OpenCL. Its primary purpose is to build on or GPU (graphics processor) to offload the CPU (main processor) perform expensive. At first glance, the GeForce 330M (current mid-range of mobile solutions at NVIDIA's catalog) includes all the execution cores even 48 against 32 for the GeForce 9600M GT. If in 1440 x 900 pixels differences do feel that little, when one goes solving the 330M is much difference. One area that we checked in our test (TBA) MacBook Pro 17''Core i5 in 1920 by 1200 pixels ...

Autonomy: A hungry processor:
    Former record holder of autonomy, MacBook Pro C2D 2.66 GHz 17'' was a reference to this matter, pursued closely by the small white MacBook Unibody sold last October. With 5:15 in Web use and office, on a theoretical autonomy of 7:00 in Cupertino announced so he could claim the title until the MacBook Pro Core i5 entry level does not point to the end its battery.

If the entry-level model, symbolized by the 2.4 GHz shows 5 hours and 35 minutes DVD playback and not less than 6 hours and 11 minutes (large), when testing Web-oriented, what is the model of Core i7 ? The promises are kept ... they? Actually, not really. On the contrary ... because, beyond the energy factor, the thermal envelope of the Core i7 is 35 Watts as his little brother Core i5 system scale is partly involved and plays an important role in the significant decline of autonomy of this model.

To perform our tests we have left active mode to switch automatically is supposed to manage the transition from the Intel HD graphics solution, very economical, GPU NVIDIA GeForce 330M. However, as we know if the mechanism is fully operational, it remains perfected. Indeed, some applications like Tweetie and Nambu (simple Twitter clients) little resource hungry graphics, forcing the latch on the GeForce GPU, it, very energy intensive. In summary, we have systematically perform certain tests such as DVD playback three times, for the assurance of autonomy average. The brightness was calibrated on 80%, 50% of the sound, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi disabled.

Unequivocal autonomy takes on a sacred time. With only 237 minutes or 3 hours and 57 minutes for our best test, the other two times achieved during the same test, reading from the movie Star Wars - Attack of the Clones, is 229 minutes and 221 minutes. Not enough to break a three-legged duck ...

Finally, for our final test, we relied on Firefox 3.5 and we have added an extension automatic reloading of pages. Once you open the homepage of our site and determined a page reload every thirty seconds to simulate an average of an Internet browser, we listened to music together with iTunes. Only the Wi-Fi was active and we have left the screen at 80% and 50% sound like other tests. If there is a slight improvement, the MacBook Pro will be held 4:52 minutes, it is very far from the minimum 8 hours announced by the firm. However, their test involving a web browser to a word processor - again without details on the use - may be less greedy. What still question the real independence of the product.

When asked, Apple has yet to certify that the batteries have been improved and they had gained autonomy, in particular, thanks to the new management was put in place. If the system switches between GPU is completely transparent to the user, it does not seem quite to the point, or at least third party applications can be found wanting.

As for batteries, have they really been revised? In reality we are convinced otherwise. We checked with Coconut Battery 2.6.6, a utility which gives very practical precisely the capacity (electronic value) in milliampere. The battery in our MacBook Pro displays 6900 mAh (rated capacity), but not exceeding 6735 mAh, 1513 mAh is better than the white MacBook Unbody. And if any doubt remained, it was quickly erased when we take a look in the information system that displays the heading Power 6882 mAh. Consider a theoretical average value e - of course - approximately 1000 mAh per hour ...

Finally, when we manually set the laptop so as to control the behavior of the hard drive and screen: never sleep, we found helplessly as the system resumes regular hand and without warning , affording a significant drop in brightness as the setting ensures direct drive. In short, if the system is developed and implemented by Cupertino to provide better management autonomy to users based on good marketing sense ... it is far from being fully effective on that computer. Bad ...

Storage: Hitachi disk performance:
    When talking about storage unit, we need to think hard that we can now turn towards the famous Solid State Drive SSD more commonly known faster (Optional sold a whopping € 180 more for a 128 GB, 585 € for a 256 GB, enough to buy a 13''MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz, 1170 € for a 512 GB version). In this case, our MacBook Pro is equipped with a 500GB hard drive Hitachi Travelstar 5K500 5400 RPM m, which enlists the support of 8 MB of cache. Thus armed, our laptop would have preferred a slightly faster one as a 7200 rpm, but surprisingly, the disc Hitatchi reached a particularly good writing.

We have compared with his counterpart, also a team that Hitachi 500GB MacBook Pro 15''2.8 GHz of the previous generation ( mid 2009). The disc of the Core i7 is positioned in the high average of 500 GB hard drives on the speed of rotation.

Even if the hard drive comes standard with the laptop is different from models previously sold (including Fujitsu and Seagate models) in the MacBook Pro, it is advisable to opt for a model at 7200 rev / m. Typically, these discs embark 16MB cache that play a major role in the performance when reading and especially writing files.

Good play provision:
    If the chapter on autonomy seems somewhat complex to understand, this is the first time there's so many elements that come into play, the register of performance, things are much simpler with games. Note that the NVIDIA GeForce 330M has already shown (see results in Cinebench) she was under his foot, although its predecessor GeForce 9600M GT still seems the game.

We were able to check first with Mac OS X (10.6.3 v1.1) by launching several productions as famous as greedy, for some, then Windows XP Pro (SP3). If Doom 3, Quake 4, Prey, Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare, like Tomb Raider Anniversary, for example, are in no way penalized for the GPU in their native resolution (1440 x 900 pixels). They are not necessarily as mature, including Call of Duty 4 as their PC counterparts (under video settings). Ports sometimes simplified. However, gamers of all stripes will appreciate. It runs perfectly, the games are smooth even when all graphic options are enabled.

Obviously, the more recent productions require a powerful graphics solution and we must content ourselves with mobile versions. However, the MacBook Pro 15''is not so bad with. We tried to play a Cider version of Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 by adjusting the graphics settings in order to find the right balance between gameplay and fluidity. If we were absolutely impossible to play with all the video options at their nominal level, we still managed to enjoy the game in terms of gameplay honorable. Caution, however, it is incommensurate with the comparable Windows PC version.

In contrast, in PC with Boot Camp, things are changing according to the type of game and its completion date. We installed the following products: Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare, Medal of Honor Airborn, Farcry 2, Tomb Raider Anniversary, Gears of War, Crysis, Street Fighter IV and Assassin's Creed Benchmarck II. If the majority of titles runs without a hitch, only Crysis - known for its weight - and Assassin's Creed II have posted many jerks in the first, and to a lesser extent in the second.

Under the category of games that have undermined the MBP Core i7, Assassin's Creed 2, despite the profusion of CPU power, displays some slowdowns at times, with the GeForce 1440 x 900.

But overall, the GeForce 330M not do too badly. For comparison, we launched the Benchmark version of Street Fighter IV, and there is still a small advantage for the GeForce 330M deal with the GeForce 9600M GT team of former high-end 15 and 17 inches.

While GPUs shipped by our MacBook Pro Core i7 distills a score of 9874 in this test, the GeForce 9600M GT in our MacBook Pro 17''3.06 GHz of the previous generation displays 9731 (an average of 57 frames per second). A minor deviation is justified by the resolution (1280 x 720 pixels by default) based on which the test graphics performance. If the resolution setting to 1440 by 900 pixels, native then, the intrinsic decrease only slightly, while those of the GeForce 9600M GT literally drop when we increase the resolution in this case the native (1920 x 1200 pixels).

The gains made by the GeForce 330M, also with 512 MB of RAM, so are not really raucous ... Unless you go up the resolution. Note that NVIDIA is the great specialty of "re-design" of marketing its products. And even if we frankly hoped better from this GPU, it is swift enough to allow playing of recent productions.

Conclusion:
    Long awaited and desired the same, this vintage 2010, despite an autonomy undermined by an automatic transparent laborious although the two graphics chips, has a significant contribution to power through the integration of the Core i7 620M.

The 4 GB of memory and 500GB disk space provides enough flexibility to the user and the glossy screen, despite its inevitable reflections, image quality very good level. Besides the MacBook Pro 15''based on a graphical solution with two heads, dressed for OpenCL and swift, if necessary, even with 3D intensive applications. A solution that is energy intensive ...

And if we could estimate the costs somewhat prohibitive at first (mine is nothing more expensive than the most expensive iMac 27 "Core i7), the rate offered by Apple is in line with the product and performance Raw it displays. only be accused of having relieve his purse of € 135 for additional work in good conditions with the screen.

Clearly, if the power is definitely not your priority, while the Core i7 has obvious advantages in areas such as 3D, we prefer by far, the models based on the Core i5, including the entry level has a range incommensurate higher and a much more attractive price. Count 552 USD less. A difference that could very well be invested in the purchase of a 128GB SSD, for example, or 4 GB of RAM.

mithailebaiker Guest

We regret, however, that the non-HD version, but the reverb is not available in the store when the MacBook Pro unibody previously sent home a comparable basis.