Thread: Core i7 performance

Core i7 performance

Intel introduces a new processor generation with the name Intel Core i7, which currently has one in the CPU integrated memory controller, a three-channel memory interface, a turbo mode, and a peripheral connection with previously unseen features bandwidth overkill. Core i7 and the "7" in the name stands for the seventh-Update technology, combined with an integration of the memory controller into the processor, an expansion of the memory interfaces to a three channel technology, a connection to the outside world using Quick Path Interface (QPI). However, professional users currently using the i7 920 or 940 who have the budget, would find the jump in performance cost effective. The Core i7 975 and its D0 Stepping consumes about the same as the 965. That can EQUAT in to some money saved if the machine is constantly being fully utilized day in and out. And the extra performance gained due to the revision is icing on the cake. This too can lead to money and time saved because projects are compiling faster.

Specification of Core i7

The new features of the Nehalem and investigate the changes listed on the advantages and disadvantages in operation both in terms of performance, but judge with the help of the extensive test equipment is also essential emphasis on reliability, power consumption and volume of the new processor generation.

Gaming & Video for Core i7 performance review

Gaming

Gaming performance will be of paramount interest when it comes to buying new parts for your PC. However, the simple fact of the matter is, if you have a powerful gaming PC, CPU performance is not going to be your bottleneck. Crysis is still one of those games, the most current system demands. This requires the developer Crytek Direct3D API-10-, High Dynamic Range rendering, Parallax Occlusion Mapping, Soft Shadows, Motion Blur, Depth of Field and Soft Particles. We test Crysis with the use of DirectX9 and DirectX10 order especially at low resolutions even better scaling relation of the CPU to get. Looking at the high resolutions in Crysis you can see a clear limitation graphics and the game hardly benefited from the increased CPU power. Each setting is run three times and an average taken to ensure a consistent and fair result. We used a 'low' graphical setting to demonstrate the affect a fast CPU can have when graphics card performance isn't a bottleneck and then we used a 'high' setting to show the limited effect a fast CPU has when your graphics card is the bottleneck.

Video encoding

Whether it's for editing your family videos or re-encoding your favorite videos to an iPod friendly format, video encoding is becoming more and more common and of course it's still a very CPU intensive task too. A process that can be multi threaded and also current CPUs to 100 percent. Accordingly, we also test one about the clock speed scaling and the other regarding the architecture of different values.

WAV to MP3

Still a popular application is the compression of WAV audio files to MP3 or AAC files. At this point, we show how fast this is what CPU goes equipment.

MP3 compression

Core i7 performance review

Conclusion for Core i7 performance

The bulk of the changes is very clear in the memory pipeline again. Nevertheless, however, you are concerned with the implementation of SMT to a revision of the cores themselves, which in applications that are optimized for multithreading, which can increase performance massively. From an increase in clock rate will benefit primarily the theoretical tests, such as the CPU score in Futuremark applications - 27 percent advantage of the i7 975 XE compared with the i7 920 - SiSoft Sandra, and in general. Even with the audio / video encoding, which is now well on multi-core CPUs are responding performance increases of up to 25 percent to see if the i7 975 XE with the i7 920 compares. Basically, you can see in all the theoretical as well as bandwidth-hungry testing a linear scaling with the clock. Highlighting can be sure also that the computing power by integrating the memory controller in the native quad-core processor has certainly increased. The revival of the Hyper-Threading Technology can - where the application makes it possible absolute points.Otherwise, the thing about games. Crysis with the use of DirectX9 deep resolution, for example, benefited disproportionately from the increased clock rate. So here is a performance increase of up to 38 per cent recorded between the peak and the cheapest model. Crysis at low resolution is represent a outlier, because the other games increases the performance gain is not more than 20 percent at low resolutions.