Thread: ViStart - Vista Start Menu for XP

ViStart - Vista Start Menu for XP

ViStart: Give the Windows XP Start Menu the Vista look

Are you tired of the Start menu in Windows XP? Want to give it a new look and adding more features?

ViStart is a small application that turns boring and conventional start menu on your XP on a Windows Vista-style.

It seems that every time a new version of Windows appears there are lots of utilities produced that give the old versions the new look. ViStart is a good example that makes the Windows XP Start Menu look just like that of Vista.

A few weeks ago, I tried a Vista styled start menu replacement for XP called Vista Start Menu. It worked nicely and even included the Vista style program search. This one seems to give you an even better simulation and the search feature is even faster than what Vista can give you. The only issue I had with this utility is a slow start-up time.

The good news is that it is not a purely cosmetic utility. The search feature of the Vista Start Menu for finding software installed on the computer.

The cosmetics are also very good and the ViStart menu also has the transparent effects of the Vista menu.

If you want to give Windows XP a fresh new look, this a good way to do so.

Features of ViStart

Features:
    • Launch Programs faster then ever before

ViStart dramatically decreases the time taken to search for programs by indexing your program shortcuts. Then you can simply type part of the program into the start menu and ViStart will "instantly" find it.

• Find files faster then Vista

ViStart not only indexes programs but also files as well. Just type the file you are looking for and in miliseconds ViStart will return results (Up to 4 times faster then the orignal Vista start menu!).

• Microsoft Vista skin

ViStart includes a skin that looks exactly like the Windows Vista's start menu and it also supports 3rd party skins. A wide range of skins made by ViStart fans are available through deviantart.

• Fading Menu Icons

As you roll over each option on the menu ViStart will blend each option just like Vista's icons.

• Multilanguage support

ViStart supports natively English, Japanese, German, French, Italian, Russian, Korean, Chinese and Dutch.

Download ViStart here

Platform: Windows XP
    Type: Freeware
    Manufacturer: Lee Soft
    Size: 441KB

Download ViStart

I haven’t tried this myself but it certainly looks accurate. No idea if it responds like the Vista one or if it’s just a graphical screenshot-recreation of the menu. It seems like it completely replaces the start menu of XP with a separate application because it has it’s own configuration settings like this,

ViStart is a good example that makes the Windows XP Start Menu look just like that of Vista. Moreover its a freeware application that brings the functionality of the Windows Vista Start Menu to Windows XP.

Yes, its real. It mainly works like the vista one. I use it all the time with my fake vista, but you cant right click on the ViStart because it will just open whatever you right click on as if you left clicked on it.