TechArena Community

TechArena Community (http://forums.techarena.in/)
-   Operating Systems (http://forums.techarena.in/operating-systems/)
-   -   Vista KSOD Help. (http://forums.techarena.in/operating-systems/1141531.htm)

JoelDows 16-03-2009 06:54 PM

Vista KSOD Help.

Hello everyone.
About 2 months ago i bought a hp dv5. It was running perfectly until i downloaded a 700 mb virus/spyware under the name of a different file. The file was obviosuly corrupted, but i only found that out when i opened the file and the damage was done.
So i went to fix this problem, looking up the software to do this. I installed and registered Spyware Doctor, however before fixing the viruses Spyware Doctor installed new components and lists and had to restart the computer to finalise the changes. I did this and now i am left with a black screen with only the cursor.
I have done ample research within this problem and have not yet found a suitable guide. I cannot open task manage, yet if i press shift 5 times a command box does open up.
Safe Mode does nothing different to running in normal mode.
Many people talk about Vista Media, and booting it through that. I dont know where to start or how to start it, would anyone care to ellaborate on this problem as i need my laptop very soon.

JAMES_911 16-03-2009 07:22 PM

Re: Vista KSOD Help.

Here is how to recover from the KSOD (blacK Screen Of Death):

There apparently this a problem related to the Remote Procedure Call service (RPC) running under LocalSystem account instead of NT Authority\NetworkService account.

1. On the affected machine, boot using the Vista Media and Select ?Next? and then in the bottom left you will see ?Repair your Computer?; select Next and then Select Command Prompt.

2. At the command prompt, launch regedit.exe and load the SYSTEM hive, follow the below steps.

a. Select HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

b. On the File menu, select Load Hive.

c. Browse to %WINDIR%\System32\Config Folder and select ?SYSTEM?

d. Select Open.

e. In the Load Hive dialog box, type in ?MySYSTEM? box for the registry hive that you want to edit.

3. After the hive is loaded, modify the following key value per the instructions below: You will need to know what ControlSet the machine is currently running on, this can be determined by going to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\MySYSTEM\Select and find the ?Current? value in the Right hand side. (Example: Current value is 1 then the ControlSet will be ControlSet001)

Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\MySYSTEM\ControlSet00X\Services\RpcSs (X is the Number from the Current Key from above)

Value Name: ObjectName

Old Value: LocalSystem

New Value: NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService

4. Unload the SYSTEM hive by selecting the key ?MySYSTEM? and then select File -> Unload Hive? menu item.

5. Exit regedit.exe

6. Reboot the system normally

Source: logicitc.com

Nigel_123 16-03-2009 07:38 PM

I was having issue on vista X64 ultimate . Just formatted the system.

Tried the above solution but unfortunately the ObjectName value was already ?NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService? so, no change, and no fix for me.

Microsoft says that this bug is fixed with SP1 : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946532/en-us

Hope the above link will help. Good luck

JoelDows 17-03-2009 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by james_911 (Post 4303328)
Here is how to recover from the KSOD (blacK Screen Of Death):

There apparently this a problem related to the Remote Procedure Call service (RPC) running under LocalSystem account instead of NT Authority\NetworkService account.

1. On the affected machine, boot using the Vista Media and Select ?Next? and then in the bottom left you will see ?Repair your Computer?; select Next and then Select Command Prompt.

2. At the command prompt, launch regedit.exe and load the SYSTEM hive, follow the below steps.

a. Select HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

b. On the File menu, select Load Hive.

c. Browse to %WINDIR%\System32\Config Folder and select ?SYSTEM?

d. Select Open.

e. In the Load Hive dialog box, type in ?MySYSTEM? box for the registry hive that you want to edit.

3. After the hive is loaded, modify the following key value per the instructions below: You will need to know what ControlSet the machine is currently running on, this can be determined by going to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\MySYSTEM\Select and find the ?Current? value in the Right hand side. (Example: Current value is 1 then the ControlSet will be ControlSet001)

Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\MySYSTEM\ControlSet00X\Services\RpcSs (X is the Number from the Current Key from above)

Value Name: ObjectName

Old Value: LocalSystem

New Value: NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService

4. Unload the SYSTEM hive by selecting the key ?MySYSTEM? and then select File -> Unload Hive? menu item.

5. Exit regedit.exe

6. Reboot the system normally

Source: logicitc.com

First off, I am not sure of how to boot with Vista Media, could someone ellaborate on the steps for a so-called "noob".

JoelDows 17-03-2009 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel_123 (Post 4303356)
I was having issue on vista X64 ultimate . Just formatted the system.

Tried the above solution but unfortunately the ObjectName value was already ?NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService? so, no change, and no fix for me.

Microsoft says that this bug is fixed with SP1 : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946532/en-us

Hope the above link will help. Good luck

This solution requires the Vista DVD, My laptop came with Vista Pre Installed and I do not have a Installer DVD, what to do?

Wingit 17-03-2009 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoelDows (Post 4304331)
First off, I am not sure of how to boot with Vista Media, could someone ellaborate on the steps for a so-called "noob".

You may find you have the option of a pop-up boot menu - watch the black screen with white writing when you start the machine - may say something like:

F2 for setup
F11 for boot menu ( your F numbers may be different)

Press the one for boot menu - when it pops up, arrow to cdrom drive , put dvd in press Enter. It will ask you to press any key to boot from cdrom - press Enter again.

If you don't get that option , see this

How to Set BIOS to Boot from CDROM

Hope it helps

JoelDows 17-03-2009 08:25 AM

Yes that would be very good and all however I am without a CD. I have no software for the laptop at all.