Thread: Does imac have inbuilt modems

Does imac have inbuilt modems

Hello friends I am thinking of buying a new imac and was wondering that does the iMac has an inbuilt modem so that I can connect to the internet. Or is that I have to buy a new DSL modem to be able to connect to the iMac for connecting the internet. Also, if suppose I want to connect to the internet wireless then do I need to wireless modem for it. Can any one suggest me with some ideas to to know which one should I use.

Re: Does imac have inbuilt modems

Hey I think that you dont require any built in modem for connecting to the internet if you are using cable line. They are just develop to help you connect through the dial up cable connection. So it depends upon you that what connection you are currently using. If you are using the cable connection then you wont require the modem inside the laptop. You can request the Internet Service provider to provide you with a specific modem for you.

The inbuilt modems that you are talking about is specially develop in some laptop where you want to connect to the internet using the telephone connection. So if you are only using the telephone dial up internet connection it is obvious that you will require the inbuilt modem in the laptop to connect to the internet.

No I have a cable connection which I had previously connected directly to my system. So I didn't require any modem over there, but now that I have given away my system and that I am looking for buying iMac , so before that I would want to make myself clear that do I have to buy a modem for it or it will be there inbuilt in it. Please help me to clear my doubt. Also if I had to buy the modem then what it will cost.
    Last edited by Metoac; 04-12-2010 at 11:57 AM.

Hey I think that you wont require any modem since you own a cable connection, also If you want the modem then you can contact the internet service provider and can ask for a modem which will be provided you depending upon the cost that will be decided by the operator. Also, some of them even provide the modem for free so you first have a word with the operator and see what does he suggests you.
    Last edited by Erie; 06-12-2010 at 10:25 AM.