Thread: Not able to install nVidia GT540M Graphics Card driver on Asus K53SV after installing linux ubuntu

Not able to install nVidia GT540M Graphics Card driver on Asus K53SV after installing linux ubuntu

I have recently installed linux ubuntu on my new Asus K53SV and the problem that I am facing is that I am not able to install divers for the nVidia GT540M Graphics Card that it has, I mean that when I am trying to nVidia GT540M Graphics Card then it simply results in a crash report fail and because of that I have to reboot every time. I have tried to do the same a no of times but then I am not getting any success. Is there anyone who can help me out with this? Ant help regarding this will be appreciated.

Re: Not able to install nVidia GT540M Graphics Card driver on Asus K53SV after installing linux ubuntu

I have recently installed linux ubuntu on my new Asus K53SV and the problem that I am facing is that I am not able to install divers for the nVidia GT540M Graphics Card that it has, I mean that when I am trying to nVidia GT540M Graphics Card then it simply results in a crash report fail and because of that I have to reboot every time. I have tried to do the same a no of times but then I am not getting any success. Is there anyone who can help me out with this? Ant help regarding this will be appreciated.
    I don’t think so that there should be a problem like this actually I am having Asus K53SV-SX050V and even I have switched to linux ubuntu And I did not had any such problem in installing the drivers for the same NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M. Have you tried to do the same manually? If not then try it out and then let me know and just note down if you get any error. I think that manually installing the driver will solve it out. Best of luck.

Re: Not able to install nVidia GT540M Graphics Card driver on Asus K53SV after installing linux ubuntu

Yes I have tried doing it manually as well and when I do in that way then I get an error and then I need to close the X server. I have also found that before booting when i open it in TTY then it again give me the same.I have tried to add lspci -v | grep -i vga in Terminal but then it gives me the following:
    Quote:
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GF106 [GeForce GT 555M] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    It appears as if it is considering my graphic card as nVidia GeForce GT 555M even though I am having a nVidia GeForce GT 540M. I am really running out of ideas now is there any other solution that I can try out?

You can try to download the latest version from the NVidia's website and in order do so just reboot your system in console mode and then remove the old graphics drivers that you have:
    sudo apt-get purge nvidia*
    Go to the directory where the installation file stays and after that install it:
    sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-280.13.run
    after that make sure that you reboot:
    sudo reboot now
    Just try it out and then let me know if you have any further problem.

I think that the latest nvidia driver which is version 270.41.06 might not be supporting your nVidia GeForce GT 540M but then I think that you can try to install ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates PPA:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-current
    As far as I am aware version 2.3.0gas been released and you can try to install it and then try to run the nvidia graphic card by getting the nvidia. Just try it out and then let me know what you get

Hey I have followed the above solutions and now I have installed the specific driver but then now the problem here is that when I am rebooting then it do not startup and the lspci says that I am having a GT555M. So I just wanted to know that is there anymore setting that I have to change to get it work? Any further help will be appreciated.