Thread: Laptop 'DELL Inspiration' wont boot

Laptop 'DELL Inspiration' wont boot

I have a Dell Inspiron 1420 that it does turn on , ther is no video shown on the screen when the fan is on in the the hard drive. i have tired every thing i put a new video card but it does ot work i got the same problem , when the memory card is removed there is no action in it . the laptop turn on the same with or without the memory card, that it wired it should it is ok or somethings wrong with this can any one tell me what could be the problem.

did you try an external monitor and how did you change the video card on the laptop
    In The Absence Of Light
    Darkness Prevail's

receiving no beeps usually point to the m/b the graphics is a on board chip
    "Me fail English!? That unpossible!"

on the 1420 there is an auxilliary board that the screen plugs into. Some laptops however offer a removable graphics card for use in a laptop. That board then plugs into the motherboard .

i think the problem is the motherboard because laptop is not booting even though fan and hard drive , i think its definitely the problem in motherboard

Dell Inspiron 6400 boot problem

I am also facing a problem with dell (INSPIRE) laptop that i purchased at del at usa.
    problem is that my laptop is getting power on and when i press the power on button,
    the three led is glowing for 10 seconds and after that its gets off.
    so can you suggest, how to get away from this problem,what are cause for this.
    i don't want to give it local computer repair centre ,and I have no international dell waaranty.
    please suggest the solution for this problem

I am also facing a problem with dell (INSPIRE) laptop that i purchased at del at usa.
    problem is that my laptop is getting power on and when i press the power on button,
    the three led is glowing for 10 seconds and after that its gets off.
    so can you suggest, how to get away from this problem,what are cause for this.
    i don't want to give it local computer repair centre ,and I have no international dell waaranty.
    please suggest the solution for this problem
    Seems to be a problem with the power. Prior to this was this working fine or is this a new setup that you bought?

This laptop was working well for One and half year.
    This problem has come to the last week.
    Any diagnostic through I can know the exact failure.

Yogesh Guest
    So you are not even able to get upto the BIOS settings. This seems to be RAM issue or probably shorting of cables somewhere! For checking purpose, try this. Remove the RAM chip, clean its inserted part with a duster, insert it properly again. Boot and check. If that doesn't work, then remove all the external devices that are attached, remove the Hard drive, keep RAM in its place and try to boot. If you still cannot get upto the BIOS settings, then there must be some problem with the motherboard or PSU. Tell us what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Yogesh A View Post
    So you are not even able to get upto the BIOS settings. This seems to be RAM issue or probably shorting of cables somewhere! For checking purpose, try this. Remove the RAM chip, clean its inserted part with a duster, insert it properly again. Boot and check. If that doesn't work, then remove all the external devices that are attached, remove the Hard drive, keep RAM in its place and try to boot. If you still cannot get upto the BIOS settings, then there must be some problem with the motherboard or PSU. Tell us what happens.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    thanks for the reply .
    yes, I am not able to see any display on the screen and I have checked the
    RAM and reinstall it , but still It is not working.
    Also I removed all the external devices but still It is not booted.
    After pressing the Power On Button, CPU Fan is also not running for a single
    moment and there is no power in DVD Drive and Hard Disk also,
    Can you please tell us that where is the PSU and Can PSU be replaced as mother board is quite costly and where is the probaability of shorting of
    cables on the motherbaord..
    please suggest

Hello Sanjeev!
    Reading your post & conversation with Yogesh A & your recent reply I am quite sure that the problem is with your power supply What i can suggest you is try another compatible power adaptor for dell inspiron & see if you have the same problem.
    one more thing this could be a heat thing? Could the processor be shutting down because it's not making good contact with the heat sink?
    See this link also!

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Trees View Post
    Hello Sanjeev!
    Reading your post & conversation with Yogesh A & your recent reply I am quite sure that the problem is with your power supply What i can suggest you is try another compatible power adaptor for dell inspiron & see if you have the same problem.
    one more thing this could be a heat thing? Could the processor be shutting down because it's not making good contact with the heat sink?
    See this link also!
    I have tried with different power suppy and with alone battery also,
    LED glows for 3to4 sec and no power sign on the mother board like no cpu fan is running no power in DVd Drive and hard disk and finally power off after
    few seconds.And I am not even seeing BIOS settings on the screen i.e No display is coming

I think your laptop is dead!
    Try removing your disk, RAM, CD drive & boot again. Any beep?
    lets see where the exact problem is?
    Only thing you can do is backup your data now!

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Trees View Post
    I think your laptop is dead!
    Try removing your disk, RAM, CD drive & boot again. Any beep?
    lets see where the exact problem is?
    Only thing you can do is backup your data now!

Yes there is no beep and no display also,
    Can this problem be removed by changing the motherboard and
    putting the same processor ?
    Or Is It possible to repair the Motherboard ?

Yes you can change your motherboard! But i dont think its a good idea cause it´s quite expensive to buy a new one.
    Mobo replacement procedures can be found in your Service Manual located on support.dell.com. The specific instructions are located here. It's messy.... lookaround.gif