Thread: How to reduce battery consumption on Ubuntu

How to reduce battery consumption on Ubuntu

I had switched from Windows to Linus. The issue was with the battery. In Windows 7 I hardly get around 3 to 4 hours of battery life. And after installing Ubuntu it is a lot more improved. I am getting around 6 hrs of full usage. I want some help to make it better. I am trying to find out some apps that can help me to increase the battery performance of my laptop. But I am unable to locate the same. I am quit sure there will be some application that can do this. Ubuntu is amazing OS. It take very less time to start and shutdown.

Re: How to reduce battery consumption on Ubuntu

You can do a few things here. First keep the desktop brightness to 0. If you are comfortable. Less brightness means more battery. This will add more to the battery life. The second thing you can do is install Jupiter in your laptop. Ubuntu has a lot more better battery management compare to Windows. And Jupiter can help you to get the same. You can get around 7 hours of battery life through this. Launch terminal and in that type sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/jupiter. Then type sudo apt-get update and type sudo apt-get install jupiter. That's it.

Ubuntu works well with any netbook or laptop. It does not consume much battery. It is light and works well with different applications. If you think still the battery is draining out fast and then check your hard drive activity. You can find that in the activity monitor. There are many tools like that available for Ubuntu. If there are many services running in the system background then it means the applications are simply consuming more power. And it is causing your battery to drain out really fast.

There is no need to improve the same. According to me Ubuntu is the best one to manage the same. It is capable of handling the battery better. If you want you can go ahead using Jupiter as mentioned above. This tool is tiny and it is capable of giving you a more improved battery. The setup is quiet easy here. I do not think there is any other software which can work in the same manner. It h a option through which you can configure the type of power management you need and you can adjust that properly.

I am using Jupiter and it works quiet well. The new version is lot more better compare to the older one. I am using it from long time on my netbook and I had not faced an problem. It allow you options through which you can switch from the different power saving modes. I am quiet sure you dont really need to anything better. You can choose from maximum to high to power saving mode. And the app will manage the power management as per your need. It will automatically manage the wifi and Bluetooth when the power is low.

I am using Jupiter and it works quiet well. The new version is lot more better compare to the older one. I am using it from long time on my netbook and I had not faced an problem. It allow you options through which you can switch from the different power saving modes. I am quiet sure you dont really need to anything better. You can choose from maximum to high to power saving mode. And the app will manage the power management as per your need. It will automatically manage the wifi and Bluetooth when the power is low.

Ubuntu has one more option through which you can get a lot better power management option. It is called as TLP. This tool provide you a advance power management command line tool that can provide you a lot of settings in one place. It has a turbo boost mode through which you can improve your battery. It also has a good hard drive power management option through which you can configure the power settings. For installation type sudo add-apt-repository ppa:linrunner/tlp in terminal and then type sudo apt-get update. The last command you have to add is sudo apt-get install tlp tlp-rdw.