Go Back   TechArena Community > Hardware > Portable Devices
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 17-04-2014

Locking external hard drive with powerful password

Locking a external drive is always big issue. I had seen people can still access by formatting or by connecting the hard drive on a pc which is having Windows but Linux or any other. Because that password utility only works on Windows. I want a more secure solution to keep my office files with password lock. Also is there a way to lock a single partition only and leaving open for others.
Old 18-04-2014

Re: Locking external hard drive with powerful password

No you cannot lock a single partition. If you want you have to password protect the entire hard drive. There are few tools which works on multi-platform. But instead of relying on a software the best thing to do is buy a portable hard drive that comes with dedicated password chip. Many flash drives and internal drive has this feature. But remember if you forget the password you cannot open it.
Old 19-04-2014

You can try using Bitlocker. This feature comes pre-configured in Windows. You can enable Bitlocker and Encrypt your drive. This drive will be locked and will be only accessible by a password. But this will lock your entire hard drive. Not a small space or tiny folder. Just everything. Even if you use any third party software you are going to get the same issue.
Old 21-04-2014

If you want to lock a specific folder only then you can use a popular folder lock software. I am sure there are ample of them available. You can find that online. Download and try it. It will surely help you. I had used a folder lock before. It works well from the pen drive. In this way you will not have to lock the entire hard drive. You can just lock a folder or its part.

TechArena Community > Hardware > Portable Devices
Tags: , ,