Thread: WD My Book Live Dual very slow on backup

WD My Book Live Dual very slow on backup

My office has Western Digital MyBook Live Duo 2TB hard drive configured on my lan network. This drive is shared for people to keep files. Also it is connected to an automated backup software. Almost all files which are on the lan network is one time moved to the network drive. It is a incremental b backup. That means only those files which are modified are replaced. At first there was in total 20GB of data. So that tool time. But after that each day when the backup starts at 4 takes around 2 hours to finish. I thought this would be fast. Users are also complaining about slow transfer speed.

Re: WD My Book Live Dual very slow on backup

The external drive speed is based on the rpm. Most commonly you can find 5400 rpm drivers in almost all network drives. It will be slow if many people are trying to access the hard drive at the same time. You have to buy a more faster hard drive for the same.

You can try using a good copy tool. Like TeraCopy. Once the files are loaded in this tool they will be copied in the network storage. Sometime due to slow lan infrastructure this issue appear. You might be on slow lan network. Today's motherboard comes loaded with gigabit lan interface. That boost the transfer speed to more. You can try to do a bit maintenance on the drive. Like defragementation. This will boost the speed to some extent giving you more faster speed. Also change the lan cable once and try to place the drive near to the systems. Not very far away. Ask people to use the storage one at a time. And when the backup is on ask people not to use it. This will boost the backup more faster.

What is the maximum speed your drive offer. Run a benchmarking test to find out the actual speed of hard drive. If it is less then there is some issue. You can contact the manufacturer for the same. There are many tools that can give you detailed information on the drive speed.