Thread: Keeping laptop connected with power adapter all day can hurt battery

Keeping laptop connected with power adapter all day can hurt battery

I am having a doubt on common practice that we all do. My laptop is having a battery issue. It drains out really fast. It is a dell laptop. So I keep it connected to the power adapter 24x7. So that it can turn on all the time. I called a technician who is my friend and he said that it is not good to keep the laptop connected to power socket like this all the time. It destroys the battery life. Is this correct.

Re: Keeping laptop connected with power adapter all day can hurt battery

It is usually not recommended. Because it can damage the battery and also the power adapter. Charge only when required and then remove it and keep aside. Many are really lazy in doing this. It has negative impact on the battery.

It is right that you must not keep the laptop connected all the time to power source. It spoils the battery. When the battery is fully charge disconnect it. Because if it is connected then there is a heavy impact on the battery and internal components. Even the charging port can be damage and cause major issue. Laptop battery works fine if you disconnect it and let the battery drain out completely. You must get a popup indication on your desktop about low battery and then only you must connect it. This is also called as battery calibration. The issue actually lies with heat. When the adapter is connected constantly for long time it gets heater and can cause severe issue if not removed. In the same way the adapter also gets heated. Some new laptop's are loaded with a smart feature. When the charge is full, the battery stops working. The laptop runs on main power. In this way there is a dual protection. The battery remains off and your laptop works on power adapter.

It is always good to keep it disconnected when not in use. Battery draining is good but overcharging the same can be risky and cause severe damage to the power jack. That is the reason within a year the battery life is affected.