Thread: Sony releases firmware updates for Xperia S, Xperia SL and Acro S smartphones

Sony releases firmware updates for Xperia S, Xperia SL and Acro S smartphones

Here is some good news for Sony Xperia S, SL and Acro S smartphone users. Where SL is still running on ICS, Xperia S users never received firmware above Android 2.3 Gingerbread. Finally today Sony released an update which doesn't brings any upgraded Android version but several enhancements in camera, services, battery life, and few new features like Google Now.

Users having any of these devices can get the firmware through OTA as well as via Sony Companion. If you are going to update it through OTA make sure that you are connected to WiFi.

Re: Sony releases firmware updates for Xperia S, Xperia SL and Acro S smartphones

Hey Ashlee, are you sure they have released it for Xperia SL as well? Because i'm having one but didn't received any update so far on my phone. Neither on OTA nor in PC Companion. Also can you please let me know what is the download size of this firmware?

Re: Sony releases firmware updates for Xperia S, Xperia SL and Acro S smartphones

Yes surely the update is also for Xperia SL, the only reason you might have not received it yet could be because the update rolls out region by region and it may take some time to reach yours but you should get it within a week time itself.

As far as the size is concerned, I don’t know about the same but it is recommended to always run OTA only with WiFi connection or 3G if you are not concerned of the billing as it may cause high bills. So always update on WiFi if OTA or better do it through PC Companion OR Sony Update Service (SUS).

Alrite… what else I can do rather than waiting. Lets see when it comes to my, waiting eagerly. By the way what are the new features Sony provided with this update?

Quote Originally Posted by F.A.L.T.U View Post
    By the way what are the new features Sony provided with this update?
    With the new Maintenance update Sony has provided many improvements as well as new features for all three devices, from camera to battery, and Apps to hardware. Here is the complete list of new stuffs you gonna get it in this firmware:

Battery:
    Economized power consumption, and heat dispersion for longer life
    Corrected juice level notifications, especially when running low

Camera:
    Addressed an abnormality in the white balance
    Improved the “Quick Launch” button functionality
    Smoothed out (1080p) video recording, minimizing lag

Apps, Services and Data:
    Streamlined Exchange Active Sync, particularly when running an encrypted set-up
    Boosted connection stability for 2G network data
    Ensured preferences on 3rd party apps remain after reboot – not a common problem, but we understand it can be a frustrating one!

Hardware and User Interface:
    Introduced a home key long-press to launch Google Now, and a double-press to launch Recent Apps
    Made sure the volume “up” button is fully responsive