Thread: Dell Latitude Windows 8 Tablet, touch keyboard not working

Dell Latitude Windows 8 Tablet, touch keyboard not working

I am looking for some helpful replies here. I bought a brand new Dell Latitude 10 hybrid tablet pc last month which came pre-installed with Windows 8. System was working good, even the onscreen keyboard was working fine. But dont know what went wrong, now the onscreen keyboard wont appear at all. Though the tablet comes with a physical keyboard as well being a hybrid PC, but it is detachable and i remove it whenever i carry out the tablet.

The keyboard use to appear fine until last week but wont appear now. I didn't made any changes to the system. It happened itself. Can anyone please tell me what could be the problem and how can i fix it? Many thanks for your helps.

Re: Dell Latitude Windows 8 Tablet, touch keyboard not working

Did you made any changes to the system recently? It seems so because to me it appears like the service that controls the touch keyboard might have disabled somehow and hence it wont appear any more.

Can you just confirm what happens when you bring up the charm bar by taking mouse pointer to the top right corner and clicking on Keyboard icon. Now click 'Touch keyboard and handwriting panel'. See if the keyboard appears or gives you any error message?

Quote Originally Posted by stephenx View Post
    Can you just confirm what happens when you bring up the charm bar by taking mouse pointer to the top right corner and clicking on Keyboard icon. Now click 'Touch keyboard and handwriting panel'. See if the keyboard appears or gives you any error message?
    I did the same, no success yet. Though the icon appears like clicked but the keyboard wont appear at all.

Any other solution? What services were you talking about in the above post?

Quote Originally Posted by stephenx View Post
    I did the same, no success yet. Though the icon appears like clicked but the keyboard wont appear at all.

Any other solution? What services were you talking about in the above post?

Alright, then probably the service is disabled. Just go through the following step:
    • Press Windows + W keys to bring up the search box
    • Type "services" followed by Enter key.
    • Scroll down and select "Touch screen keyboard and handwriting panel"
    • Right click and see if the service is disabled or Stopped. If yes, start the same or set it to Automatic.

Save the settings and you are done.

Thank you very much Stephen. You were right. The service was disabled hence the keyboard was not working. As you suggested, I set it to Automatic and now the touch keyboard appears whenever I click any typing field.

Help appreciated.