Thread: Samsung Galaxy S4 showing only 3Gb built-in storage

Samsung Galaxy S4 showing only 3Gb built-in storage

Hey guys, i need an urgent help from you all. I am having a Galaxy S4, bought just two weeks ago. As suggested by my friend i was trying out rooting on the phone, which went successfully but after the same i found that my internal storage is just 3Gb left. other space showing occupied with about 400MB in Sound and over 7GB with Miscellaneous files.

What is this 7Gb with Miscellaneous files? Also where is the rest of the storage gone? Guys please help

Re: Samsung Galaxy S4 showing only 3Gb built-in storage

If i am not wrong, you might have backed up your original ROM before rooting the device, right? This is what most of the techy people do in order to be on the safer side so that they restore the stock rom back if any thing goes wrong. In such cases, the stok rom backup is saved right on your phone's internal storage hidden partition and it use to be in few GBs. So the missing parition might be gone hidden with your rom backup. As far as miscellaneous files are concerned, you should try restoring the device once to factory settings. It should bring up the original storage capacity back. Go for it and let me know the results.

Quote Originally Posted by Leisl View Post
    Just two weeks ago. As suggested by my friend i was trying out rooting on the phone, which went successfully but after the same i found that my internal storage is just 3Gb left. other space showing occupied with about 400MB in Sound and over 7GB with Miscellaneous files.
    First of all did you checked your phone’s storage when it was new? I mean, I received my S4 with just 8.5Gb available space though the total space was showing up as 15.53GB. As there are many videos and files saved on my phone, I cannot show the original storage but I found one on web, you got to see it:

So even if you are having 3GB left after 400MB in Sound and over 7GB with Miscellaneous, then you are lucky for having so much space on your phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Zakiy View Post
    I received my S4 with just 8.5Gb available space though the total space was showing up as 15.53GB.
    Damn, where does the half of the storage gone? I mean the storage shown in the image above is right after the phone taking out of the box, right? Then which all applications are eating up almost 7Gb of space?

That’s the problem with Galaxy S4. Though the officially announced built-in space is 16GB, users only received 8.5GB, whereas about rest of the 45% of space goes to the pre-loaded apps. Technically speaking, the “bloatware” which is of no use is eating up the space with system files. I don’t know why did Samsung included the same if it of no use for ordinary man. Even most of the techy people don’t require the bloatware, instead the storage would have been useful for them.

Isn’t there any possibility we can remove the bloatware and other built-in applications to free up some space because even after resetting my phone I still didn’t got all my space.

Hello Leisl , unfortunately there is no way to do so. If you remove the bloatware and built-in application, most probably your phone will start behaving weird.