Thread: Sony Xperia Z screen cracked

Sony Xperia Z screen cracked

I need an urgent help from you all. I bought a brand new Sony Xperia Z smartphone just about a month ago. I even spend over thousand rupees for its flip cover to protect the display though it is scratch resistant. Furthermore, i usually keep my phone on my desk when i am office or home and while traveling it use to be in my soft bag. So i can be sure while telling that there wont be a single second when i put any pressure on the phone or its display.

Now here is the problem. Yesterday while leaving from office i took my phone unlocked the screen and i found it cracked How does it happened? Neither anything felt on the phone nor the phone felt from the desk or my hand. Than does the screen got cracked? Did it happened with anyone else? Can i get it repaired under warranty?

Please help.

Re: Sony Xperia Z screen cracked

Cracked? Xperia Z screen? Sounds bit surprising. Well i am not having this phone but have read many articles about the same, including its powerful display. As mentioned in this thread " Scratch Resistance Comparison of Sony Xperia Z with other phone ", Xperia Z's display is made of Dragontrail glass which offers better durability compared to Gorilla glasses in hardness, thickness and is even lighter. So i am not getting how the screen got cracked.

Its true that Xperia Z comes with Asahi Dragontrail glass protection but there are several users who found their screen cracked. Well Gorilla or Dragontrail prevent the screen from felling it on floor or other ways of breaking the screen but there are several other reasons that can make the screen crack for example, high temperature, air pressure etc. It may be the cause with you INDRASENA. In case when the outside air pressures gets down, then inside Air is forced outside of the device. In such cases the screen gets cracked. You should better take it to their service center and see if they can help you in this case. Let them know that Sony is well aware of this problem as lots of people faced the same. Their screen got broken without falling or without any hammer test.

That’s correct INDRASENA, you are not alone. There are many Z users including me whose screen got cracked with no reason. As the phone is still under warranty you can take it to service center like I did. In my case the kind service center guy accepted that it is not my fault because he has already seen many such cases with Xperia Z. But he also said that Sony doesn’t admit the same hence they cannot provide me the service free of cost considering it as physical damage.

This is annoying and kind of shame on Sony. If it has happened with so many users why don’t they believe it. I think I should have gone with Samsung, atleast their screen wont get cracked automatically and they provide better service to their customers.

I have been researching on the same thing since last couple of days as I’m planning to but the Z. In my searches I found that the display of this phone is very risky though it is prevented with the robust glass (Dragontrail). I found that the display gets broken because of air pressure as mentioned by Maadhav above. Also there is no way you can get it repaired under warranty (without spending) few dollars because Sony is not ready to admin. However they realize that it is the manufacturing fault. Hence they are working on it and if you want to buy Xperia Z better wait for couple of more months until Sony releases the improved and next lot of the devices.