Thread: Taking pictures with Sony Xperia Z under water

Taking pictures with Sony Xperia Z under water

I brother bought me a brand new Xperia Z from US about 10 days ago. I must say the phone is amazing with excellent performance. I have seen its advertisement and read several articles saying it the Waterproof and dust resistance smartphone. Well i agree with the same, it is waterproof. But yesterday i was on a picnic to resort. I carried the phone along in swimming pool. Nothing happened to the phone but i was just not able to capture images from this device when i was under water. Any idea why? Infact the entire phone use to stops responding as soon as i put it under water and starts working when i take it out?

Can anyone please explain me this functionality? Thank you very much.

Re: Taking pictures with Sony Xperia Z under water

Nope, it is not possible to capture images or do video shooting with Xperia Z underwater. This is because though the device is waterproof, there is a restriction and that is its touchscreen wont work under water. As you know there is no dedicated physical key for camera, you need to tap or use the screen itself for capturing which use to be disabled when you put the phone in water. Hence Sony has released the new Xperia ZR which has better technology and allows you under water shooting.

Damn, it is bit disappointing. Than whats the use being a Waterproof smartphone if you just cannot use the phone under water. As far as I know entire phone menu and options work with the screen itself on this phone , right? And if the screen stops working that means you just can’t do anything, not even receive the calls under water.

Quote Originally Posted by Samudrasen View Post
    As far as I know entire phone menu and options work with the screen itself on this phone , right? And if the screen stops working that means you just can’t do anything, not even receive the calls under water.
    Yes, that is correct. You cannot do anything under water but I have a doubt. I have never heard or seen anyone who need to pickup phone and talk under water? I mean how long a person needs to stay under water which makes him receive the calls compulsorily. Lol. Dude he can come out and talk, right?

Anyways, now lets talk about shooting under water with Xperia Z. If you really want to capture photos then there are some other ways to do it. You can go with an app called Camera 360. It is available on Play Store. Once installed the same you will be able to capture the images by pressing the PHYSICAL volume button. That works, right? Just make sure that you turn On the camera before going under water because turning it on requires the display.

Hello Samudrasen, It is not like you cannot do anything or the phone is useless under water though it is a Waterproof device. There are few things which can be still done. For example, if you don’t want to install any 3rd party camera app, you can even set a Self Timer before going in water and the camera will flash/capture itself after set time. That works too, right? Secondly, you can also watch movie under water if you are going to stay for a long time. Just play the movie when you are out of the water and then take it along with you. I promise you can watch the entire movie. The same stands for Music as well, Turn on the music player and take the phone under water.

Ok, I was not aware of such things. Thanks for sharing such useful info guys. I really appreciate it.

By the way, I have a small question, hope you guys don’t mind it. If the phone is capable so much then why dint they made the display as well to work under water? Wanted to know just for my knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Samudrasen View Post
    If the phone is capable so much then why dint they made the display as well to work under water?
    It is because water conducts electricity.