Thread: Samsung Galaxy S4 charging very slowly

Samsung Galaxy S4 charging very slowly

Bought brand new Galaxy S4 from official Samsung store. happy to use such a high end device with fastest and smoothest performance so far. But here is the problem making me worry. When i opened the box it was having about 50% of charging left, i used the phone first day without plugging the charger (battery life is very good i must say). Next day when i tried charging the phone it took long hours to get to 100%. Second day as well the same and yet the same. It is bit surprising for me because i have used few other samsung smartphones as well like GS3 and Note 2 but they used to charge faster than this. Can anyone please tell me if this is just me facing the problem or the product itself is made in such manner?

Re: Samsung Galaxy S4 charging very slowly

You say "it took long hours to get to 100%." Can you be specific exactly how long (in hours) does your S4 takes to charge 0% to 100% ? One of my friend has a S4 and it takes maximum 2.5 hours to get fully charged. If yours time is same than its normal. whats the problem?

It is taking over 4 hours to reach from 0% to 80%. Is it normal with S4? I don’t think so. I am suing its original USB cable for charging the phone.
    Any help please?

Wow, you are charging it the phone with USB cable connected to PC or laptop (I guess) and you complaining about slow charging? Dude, can you tell me why does they provide a charger with the box if the PC can charge your phone?

Let me tell you that Galaxy S4 has a 2600mAh battery whereas no matter what computer or laptop you are using, its USB ports only give 350mA per hour (maximum average). So in order to charge a 2600mAh at the rate of 400mA, hoe much time it should take? Well the answer comes to 5 to 6 hours and I guess that is it taking in your case. Isn’t it?

Quote Originally Posted by Fullorton View Post
    Let me tell you that Galaxy S4 has a 2600mAh battery whereas no matter what computer or laptop you are using, its USB ports only give 350mA per hour (maximum average). So in order to charge a 2600mAh at the rate of 400mA, hoe much time it should take? Well the answer comes to 5 to 6 hours and I guess that is it taking in your case. Isn’t it?
    That is absolutely correct Fullorton. Phone’s batteries are nit made for charging through USB Ports. It is just a Alternative which can be used temporarily. You must always charge the phone with the Charger, it will be much better if you will charge the device with its own original charger because they are meant keeping that particular battery in mind. By doing so it will take less time to get 0 to 100 and also increases your battery life.

Ok, so that was the technical stuff I was not aware. Sorry for the same.

You guys were correct. I tried charging the phone today morning using Samsung charger and the S4 came 0-100% in 1 hour 57 minute.

Help appreciated.