Thread: How to track lost android smartphone

How to track lost android smartphone

One of my friends has recently lost his Xperia Smartphone from the office Canteen. He has stored several important confidential data on his phone which were not locked and can create problems if somebody accessed the same. Its been 3 days we have not found the mobile yet. As I’m also using Galaxy S3 with several important data, Emails, Appointments, etc I’m bit afraid what if I lost it somewhere. So in order to make it more secure I have downloaded few applications which will lock everything with password. But still I’m afraid of getting the mobile stolen.

So can anyone provide me some easy way using which I can find out or track my device’s location? Please help.

Re: How to track lost android smartphone

One of the best parts of having Android phone is you get applications for most of the things. There are many security softwares available on Google Play using which you can make your phone to be tracked if stolen or if you forget it somewhere. One app that I use since long time is ‘Where’s my Droid’. Once you installed this on your phone and it gets stolen or you forget it somewhere, you will be able to locate it from any computer or smartphone. Just you need is internet connection. You will get several notifications in form of an Alarm Sound, flash message or Remote Wipe Signal. The application is completely free and its just 750kb in size. As per my personal experience, it is worth and very helpful.

You are correct Chapala, Where’s my Droid is a very good app for tracking lost devices, I have used it for a year. But later when I bought a new mobile instead of Where’s my Droid I used another application called ‘Plan B’. Unlike Where’s my Droid, here you don’t need to keep this application installed always on your mobile. Just install it once so that it can contact with your google account.

In case your phone gets stolen you just need to send a small message “locate” from any other smartphone to you device and it will send an email with map location on your gmail. Its very easy and effective. I found it much better than Where’s my Droid. If you guys want, you can give it a try. Its free.

I don’t understand why you guys need to go with such applications. Why don’t just install and any good antivirus suite which will provide you Phone tracking as well as security from virus and many other threats. The best I can suggest you is “Lookout Security & Antivirus.” It provides you complete security for your devices. Once interesting part of this app is that ‘Plan B’ which you guys are talking above is already included and part of Lookout Security. And yeah, this is also completely free.

SO I recommend if you need complete security, go with Lookout Security.