Thread: What is Google Smart App Updates

What is Google Smart App Updates

Hi, i have a very short query and hope you would have got it from my title. Recently i heard about a term called "Smart App Updates" by Google on their Google Play Store. Now though it sounds like any kind of updates for Softwares or applications, i want to know what exactly is it ? I tried to find out it on the Play store but dint found it anywhere. Do you guys have any idea ?

Re: What is Google Smart App Updates

Google Smart App Updates is a kind of new service Google is about to launch for Google Play users. Actually for Android users. As an explanation, youi might be knowing that applications installed on your Android Smartphone or tablet gets update time to time. You also get notification in your device's notification bar saying your so and so apps have updates. And when you start updating them, if you might have noticed, they start downloading the application again.

For example, if you have Chrome installed on your Android device, and if it gets update, you will see that Google Play start downloading complete 19MB again (that is the actual size of the app). isn't it very irritating ? I mean, you again spend your bandwith, time, battery etc while updating any application.

So, with the help Google Smart App Update, we can now get rid of this problem. From now onwards, if we update any of our installed application, it will only download the required parts from the update to make the application run at latest version. For example, it will no more download entire 19Mb, but only about 1 MB or so that is actually required to make the app at latest version. This is really good.

Quote Originally Posted by maq.h View Post
    So, with the help Google Smart App Update, we can now get rid of this problem. From now onwards, if we update any of our installed application, it will only download the required parts from the update to make the application run at latest version. For example, it will no more download entire 19Mb, but only about 1 MB or so that is actually required to make the app at latest version. This is really good.
    Thats actually a great news for me many people including me as well. As i use 3G on my Galaxy TAB, it was a pain to update applications because they use to download entire file again. Well it was OK for small apps (in kbs) but offcourse very hectic for various heavy apps like you mentioned above such as chrome, few HD games, etc. It was juts unnecessary bandwidth usage. I should thank to Google for launching this Smart App utility.

BTW, is it live or still in development ?

Quote Originally Posted by XavieaR View Post
    BTW, is it live or still in development ?
    Google made it live silently 2 weeks ago, i guess on 16th August mid night. I tried updating few apps and found it working. I update a PDF reader which was actually 7MB but while updating it downloaded just 2.7MB. This is one of the best thing Google has done.

I have deleted. i use GQueueInbox App, maybe ther is another app ? ... You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google .

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyhelu View Post
    I have deleted. i use GQueueInbox App, maybe ther is another app ? ... You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google .
    I dont get what you are trying to say, can you please specify in details what is the use of GQueueInbox App? Normally Google Smart App Update downloads the updates for applications that is installed in any android mobile phones, preventing automatic updates and users can thus manually specify for which application they really want the updates.