Thread: How to get gsm working fine on Motorola Photon Q

How to get gsm working fine on Motorola Photon Q

Ive bought Motorola Photon Q and as expected it is working great, anyways I wanted to know how can I get other gsm network working on this phone. I have to keep on travelling here and there because of my job profile. My company allots me a simple phone with gsm every new place I go, so I was thinking to using GSM in my Motorola Photon Q , what’s need to be done?

Re: How to get gsm working fine on Motorola Photon Q

As far as I am aware you can get GSM working on Motorola Photon Q as I see GSM frequencies: 850 900 1800 1900 in its specification. You will have to use a modem for unlocking your phone first for using other domestic GSM networks on it. I haven’t come across people trying it out and many have reported that it’s quite difficult to get domestic GSM networks working on their Photon Q. One of the biggest drawbacks of getting GSM working on Photon Q for now is that it will end your phones ability to use CDMA further. Anyways I’ve heard that developers are working on an update which will allow the phone to work on GSM without breaking its CDMA capability, so I will suggest you to better wait for some time.

Switching to GSM is not that difficult, there are just three simple way to do it and they are as followed:
    • Update to the latest firmware of your phone
    • Flash the radio
    • Insert your GSM SIM card and configure it out.

Like AjunD^Rock has mentioned if you follow the above method for switching to GSM then you will lose CDMA capability completely. I don’t think that would be a better idea, rather wait until update. There are many people who want to use other GSM networks but don’t want their CDMA broken, so if you are amongst them then wait or else try out the solution I’ve mentioned.

No I can’t sacrifice CDMA capability for GSM, I wanted to know if this method is complex for Motorola Photon Q specifically? I mean I have some friends in US and they say they don’t have to do anything like that, they prefer using GSM network on their phone, all they have to do is get a new GSM sim, insert it in their Smartphone and get it working, that’s all. I also wanted to know that for using GSM in Photon Q will I have to get a new sim card or some kind of microchip? Actually I have come across a similar topic in other forum and have found people mentioning that they have disassemble their AT&T Photon Q and have found that there is no sim card, instead there is a microchip. Not sure if that’s true? Can anyone confirm the same to me? Further help regarding this will be appreciated.

The other drawback of switching to some other gsm network or popping in a local pre-paid SIM might void warranty of your phone. Motorola Photon Q has a nonremovable battery and SIM card, you will have to first unlock your phone from current network, disassemble its battery and sim to use other gsm sim card or local pre-paid SIM. If you are having Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE then you will have to use it according to Sprint’s terms. To get better idea about all this I will suggest you to contact your phone carrier and find out what they have on this.