Thread: Alienware m17x crashes after disconnecting power cord

Alienware m17x crashes after disconnecting power cord

I am not able to make out what’s going wrong with my Alienware m17x, whenever I am disconnecting power cord from it then it crashes. It is repeating the same thing every time, I have been getting it working by restarting it with last known configuration and system restore. I am tired of trying these things and I want to know if there is anything I can do to fix this issue.

Re: Alienware m17x crashes after disconnecting power cord

I am not sure but I think that there is something wrong going on with your laptop battery, I wanted to know if your laptop works fine on battery or not? If you don’t have any issue while running it on battery then you can try updating bios and check out if that’s making any difference in your case. Check out what ive suggested and let me know the response you get.

It is difficult to make out what exactly might be causing your laptop to crash, while checking out for your issue I’ve come across some people who have mentioned that their Alienware m17x used to get freeze after unplugging power cord , they had to force it to shutdown and restart it to get it working. If you want then you can try below solution and check out if that’s helping.
    1. Flash System BIOS to version A09 or later.
    2. Uninstall video card driver and try booting your laptop without it
    3. Try updating Video Card driver as well as Video Card Bios

Even I think that there is something wrong with your laptop battery, if you have another working battery then you can test your laptop with that. I can’t think of anything else that might be causing this weird issue.

If you get same response after testing it with other working battery then better get it checked from nearest service center.

My m17x works fine on battery, I need to plug it in to charging when battery starts running out, probably when I get a popup saying “Connect ac adapter to charge the laptop… blah blah!! “ Once it gets charged completely and as soon as I unplug the power cord it gets crashed. As I have said it works fine on battery, I used it for hours on battery and it never crashed but I am not able to make out what might be going wrong with it while unplugging power cord. I have tried updating BIOS, vbios, video card driver and have installed all recommended windows update as well but they are not making any difference in my case. Currently I am not having another working battery to test it and I don’t even think there is anything wrong with battery. It’s something else, may be some kind of hardware issue through the charging point.

It doesn’t appear to be an issue related with software but to be at a safer side I will suggest you to backup everything and reinstall windows and check out if this issue is fixed or not. If it might be because of software bug then reinstalling windows should fix it, if it doesn’t then I’ll guess there may be some kind of hardware problem and you will surely have to get it checked and fix it from service center. I think reinstalling windows will be a better idea in such situation rather than directly visiting service center.