Thread: Can I use Internet on Nokia Lumia via Ad hoc network

Can I use Internet on Nokia Lumia via Ad hoc network

I have bought Nokia Lumia and I am not having any issue with it but I just wanted to know if it is possible to access Internet on Nokia Lumia via Ad hoc network? Some say it is where as some say it’s not, I have got varying replies for it by now, so I just wanted to clarify it from you all. If it’s possible then can anyone let me know how?

Re: Can I use Internet on Nokia Lumia via Ad hoc network

As far as I am aware it is not possible to access Internet on Nokia Lumia via Ad hoc network but there is an alternate method for doing that. I mean one can create a virtual network and connect their phone to it. Microsoft is having virtual router option in Windows 7 but you can’t consider it as Ad hoc network because it is different. Some people have tried it out with Zune devices and have got it working without any issues. If you are interested then you can try out the same.

Yes Windows 7 is capable of creating "virtual" wifi adapters based on real adapters but it creates only a single virtual adapter for "hosted" mode. So even if you have number of adapters in the system they will be called as "Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter" having common MAC address which will be decremented by one. One has to carry out some simple steps like configuring SSID and WPA password, configuring Internet Connection Sharing for bridging with other network and finally turning it on. It has been found to be working with zune devices as "Upayan" has mentioned above. Windows 7 provides other low-level functionality like write applications, by writing application one can add custom information to packets associated with beacon which are sent once a new wifi connection gets set up.

I was really hoping for a positive reply and it think Ive you have it, no matter if it is an alternate solution. I am quite interested and will like to know how to do it?

This is what you have to do:
    • First open command-prompt and make sure that are launching it with administrator privileges.
    • Now type below line and hit enter:
      netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=Test key= password
    • This command will create an access-point with an SSID of "Test" along with a WPA password of " password ".
    • Once you are done with the same you will have to configure Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) and for that open networking control panel, select the interface which might be having Ethernet or wifi connection, enable Sharing and select special hosted interface for it.
    • When you are done with all these things then you can turn it on using below command:
      netsh wlan start hostednetwork
    • If you are using iphone then you can onnect to "Test" and enter WPA password of "letmein9"

A better idea will be using “Virtual Router” which is an open source software based router supported by Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2. One can share internet connection like Wifi, LAN, Cable Modem, Dial-up, Cellular, etc with devices like Laptop, Smart Phone, iPod Touch, iPhone, Android Phone, Zune, Netbook etc using Virtual Router. I have used the same and the best thing I liked about it being an open source software there is no annoying advertisements as it doesn’t support ad.

Hey guys I have just tried out the steps mentioned above but when I am typing “netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=Test key= password” then I am getting this error message:

“The hosted network couldn't be started. The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation. "

I haven’t added quotes to while typing the command in command prompt, any ideas where I might be going wrong?? Further help regarding this will be highly appreciated.

You get this error because of old Intel drivers, there was some kind of issue with old Intel drivers but it has been fixed with the latest drivers. You can download and install latest wifi drivers for your card from intel official site and get rid of that error.

If at all you get the same error message again then let me know which wificard card you are having so that I can have better idea of the issue you are facing.

In my case I am having Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG wificard in my system and I have tried installing below drivers from intel site:
    • Intel PROSet/Wireless Basic Enterprise for IT Administrators: Windows 7 32-Bit - version:14.3.1
    • Intel PROSet/Wireless Basic Enterprise for IT Administrators: Windows 7 32-Bit - Version:14.3.1

These are the latest drivers and even after installing them I am getting the same error message? Is there anything else that I need to check out? Are you sure that this is an issue with driver and nothing else?

I have checked out regarding your Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG wificard and I have found it to be in incompatibility list of Virtual Router. These are wificards that are incompatible with Virtual Router.:
    • Belkin F5D7000
    • Belkin F5D7050UK
    • D-Link AirPlus G DWL-G122
    • D-Link DWL-G122 802.11G USB WIFI
    • Intel 3945 / 4965 / 2200BG
    • Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG
    • Zydas ZD1211