Thread: How to get tablet user-interface in Nexus 7?

How to get tablet user-interface in Nexus 7?

I have an Nexus 7 tablet with me and I am bit disappointed by the looks of the UI in it. I expected it to be like some tablet, but the UI is not like it. I want to have tablet like UI so that Nexus 7 looks like an tablet and not an oversized mobile phone. Can someone tell me if there is any way of getting a different UI on my Nexus 7? It would be really helpful as many of my friends have already asked me which phone I am carrying around.

Re: How to get tablet user-interface in Nexus 7?

To have an tablet like UI in Nexus 7, you will need to decrease the DPI of the tablet. The basic concept of changing the UI is to change the size of the display screen. You do not do it physically by changing the screen, but rather change some values that will create an illusion for the tablet’s operating system and think that it is an display screen of different size. By default the DPI of Nexus 7 is 213 at resolution of 1280 x 800. But after faking it, you will reduce the DPI to 170. The resolution will be maintained to 1280 x 800, but the tablet will think that display screen is of size 7 inches. When the screen will be detected as larger than default, the operating system will automatically render the logos of such a size that they will adjust themselves to give a tablet like UI on Nexus 7.

For changing the size of the display and making the UI of Nexus 7 look like a tablet’s UI, you will need to have a rooted Nexus 7. You should also make backup of all the data in your tablet. Also have a backup copy of the version of Android that is installed in Nexus 7 and build.prop of that Android. Also have a file explorer installed in Nexus 7 which will provide access to system files. This whole process might take some time so have patience. Get a build.prop editor from internet and then using it access the core build.prop of your Nexus 7. Now search for a line which goes as ‘ro.sf.lcd_density’ as you have to edit it. This line suggests the density of the display. By default it will be set to 213 and you have to reduce it to 170. Save the file and rboot the Nexus 7. It will take some time for Nexus 7 to start. Now you will see the UI changed to UI in tablets.

Many times it happens that some apps detect the change in size of the display done by cheating the tablet to show different size of UI. So the app doesn’t work. There is another method where the DPI will be changed such that even apps will run thinking that it is being run on a 7 inch display. GET Rom Toolbox Lite or Pro and install it. Once done, go in the performance tab and get in the build.prop editor. Now you have to get the line saying ‘ro.sf.lcd_density’ where the value will be set to 213 by default. Change it to 175, click on OK and exit. Restart the Nexus 7 and have 7 inch display like UI and also performance of the tablet according to it.

The file explorer plays a great role in changing the display size for the Nexus 7 as it allows access into system files. Without proper file explorer, this whole task will be next to impossible. So I suggest that people who are trying to get a 7 inch display on Nexus 7 should use MIUI File Explorer for best results. Many people complained that it has a childish look and needed a more professional look. But no one noticed the flexibility in use of it. The features and options it provided were of good quality and provided a good depth for a professional user. This file explorer provides file management elevated permissions. This means, one can access the root level system files too using MIUI File Explorer. It will easily run on any Android device having Android v2.2 and further. The only disadvantage of MIUI File Explorer is that it doesn’t work with devices having CyanogenMod 7.

I think when it comes to edit the system files; Android File Expert is one of the best editors that will help the most. Just like any other file editor, it allows user to copy, paste, move, create and rename your files and folders and so on. It also includes support for FTP / HTTP servers using which one can share and manage their data via internet. Using Android File Expert , you can get access to the most restricted system files like Root System Explorer (beta), SMB Client, application Manager – Uninstall / Supports applications and many more. I think that you should also try using this file explorer too.

While changing the size of Nexus 7, I used ES File Explorer File Manager which is available on Google Play for free. The size change of display was successful and I think this is one file editor that too needs mentions. It is similar to other file editors, nothing new to offer. But since it helped me to achieve my goal, I am satisfied with it.