Thread: In iOS 6, new Map app will consume lots of data

In iOS 6, new Map app will consume lots of data

I have an iPhone 4s and recently updated it to iOS 6. I tried the new operating system and fund it much better than the previous one. One feature that I have still not tried is the Maps that are available in it. Actually I watched its demo and saw that the maps will be presented in a 3D format. All the buildings will be shown in 3D format and all the roads. It will also inform us about the traffic, alternate routes, any problem on the route and many other details. I wanted to know these maps will work on GPS or on internet connection in the phone. If it will be using the internet, then I think that a lot of data will be consumed. What do you people think about it?

Re: In iOS 6, new Map app will consume lots of data

If you visit the official website of Apple and find the details about the new Maps on iOS 6 here, then you will read on the bottom of the webpage that it is clearly written that all the all the flyovers and the routing features will need internet and data charges according to the service provider’s plan will be applied. I know this service will cost too much as the maps will provide a very high detailed information about the region you are in. With access to every detail from status of traffic, status of road to shops on the road means it will have to download a large amount of data. So it is obvious that data consumption will be very high.

As shown on internet, the maps will feature real life like 3D graphics for map. So to download these maps quickly without lags and to make them work smoothly, a high speed internet will be needed. In many regions, high speed internet needed for this service isn’t available cheap. Even if available at reasonable price, they don’t provide unlimited data usage. So if the high data consumption of maps in iOS 6 is see, then this new Maps are useless feature. Many people won’t even be using it. Also in countries like India, where high speed internet is just new for mobiles, I think this service won’t even be used.

The new maps will collaborate with the Siri to give the directions and instruction in real time. A vehicle will be moving in such a speed that new Maps in iOS 6 will have to give instructions and suggestions fast. Downloading data at such high speed means high speed internet. Also to update the instructions in real time means large consumption of data. New Maps won’t just show the directions and maps, but also give information about the route. So if will give information of traffic, I think that it will need to download huge amount of data every time one passes on same road many times. The traffic status will be different every time every day. So I think this will result in huge data consumption.

As shown on internet, the maps will feature real life like 3D graphics for map. So to download these maps quickly without lags and to make them work smoothly, a high speed internet will be needed.
    There are also settings to turn of the 3D maps and have simple 2D maps with top down view. You can use them if you don’t want to have large data consumption. But I think even the 2D maps will need to download big data to keep the information updated. The details about the locations, shops and happenings around will be updated regularly. So if you are passing on a street and some shop is having a sale, then it too will be shown on the map. But if the sale ends the next day, then this information will again be downloaded by the iPhone. So in short, data will be consumed at high rate in any case and service provider will charge you for it.