Thread: Why application eats up Smartphone battery

Why application eats up Smartphone battery

I want to know how does applications that are installed in Android or iPhone eats up phone battery. I had performed test with both. My friend has a iPhone and I have a Android phone. First we tested the battery life without adding any new stuff which worked nicely. The phone was working for entire day without giving a low battery warning. Then we installed some application like games, social networking apps, location apps, live wallpapers, etc. We played them once and then stopped it. The applications were closed but still the phone's battery performance reduces to half.

Does this application still works even when we are not using them. I though that the phone will atleast give me 6 hrs of constant battery life under every condition. This is far more poor performance that I had not expected.

Re: Why application eats up Smartphone battery

Many applications that you installed download updates in the background. I am not sure about iPhone, but in Android this happens. When you launch those apps you can see advertisement on top. Every time the application collects new updates. This are not new features but additional content.

Some of them even keeps working 24x7 to locate your location. This helps them target ads on location basis. Android phones still lacks a good battery performance. Android and iPhone both are rich media phones which has tons of services working and above all our multimedia usage is never limited. Today we add more hd videos that consume more memory and the applications that play them needs better processing power. All this result in high power usage at the time of operation.

The most power consuming thing on smartphones is using internet. Net surfing cost the most. While you can save some battery power if you play your media files and use headphone instead of phone speakers. You can check the application settings and block net access if any.

It is because of those Live Wallpapers and other enhancement that you are using. You must stop them all and reduce the phone enhancement to minimum like brightness and contrast.

I have got a similar answer based on this. I was too trying to find out why does application eats up iPhone battery life. Then I found that some application has gps tracking support. With that they track your location via gps. This is turned on continuously because of which your phone battery drains out very fast. For that what you need to do is go in the application settings and turned of gps settings. You have to find that somewhere in location services. Disable them. The same you have to do for android devices. Many free applications are already equipped with this auto update kind stuff. I had seen every time when I launch a free game it shows up some extra option on top, like buying a new game of similar type or to add additional stuff. I do not think there is any way to block this. You might need to stop using free applications as inside them you can find maximum free stuff.

Smartphones almost comes with poor battery performance. There is nothing much you can do in them. I always carry a additional battery. And for iPhones you can buy a separate traveling chargers.

If your multimedia usage is high then you will face that issue. Android and iOS both gives you awesome devices with high megapixel camera, applications, instant sharing support. All this simply adds up to make your phone very low on battery usage. There are many apps that are found on android app which say that they will boost your phone battery, but that is not quiet correct. It is recommended that you must disable all unrequited stuff.

Do not use live wallpapers, they are too battery consuming. They might entertain you at start, but eats your batter quiet soon. If you travel a lot them better carry travel chargers with you. With that you can borrow some more hours of battery power. Second thing if you had configured your emails in your phone, then that is other reason for poor battery output. When the app scans for new mails, it consumes more power and reduce battery life. In short Android phones loose ore battery than iOS devices

Almost all types of phones either Android or iPhone are quiet one and the same. They appear to be rich in features but manufacturer has yet not given a good battery life.

You can do something like keep the brightness on automatic mode. If your phone sensors are good they adjust it as per needed. In bright light you do not bright screen. Turn off gps, Bluetooth or wifi type signals if you are not using them. Ample of time they are left on and Android gives you easy menu to close them off. The same is applicable for iOS devices also. Adjust the app use. Keep your home screen clean. Because more apps on the screen can consume more power. Using applications like twitter or Facebook or emails also responsible for poor battery. Carrying a additional power source is a wise choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrut View Post
    You can do something like keep the brightness on automatic mode. If your phone sensors are good they adjust it as per needed. In bright light you do not bright screen. Turn off gps, Bluetooth or wifi type signals if you are not using them. Ample of time they are left on and Android gives you easy menu to close them off. The same is applicable for iOS devices also. Adjust the app use. Keep your home screen clean. Because more apps on the screen can consume more power. Using applications like twitter or Facebook or emails also responsible for poor battery. Carrying a additional power source is a wise choice.
    Yes, carrying a additional battery resource is fine. Because you never knew when your phone is turned off while traveling. You can assume a maximum of 3hrs of full battery life while playing games or watching videos, etc.

There are ample of smartphones and tablets in the market. But none of them provides high battery usage. I need maximum 8hrs would be more than enough. Because within that time you reach some place where you can charge your mobile phone. It is necessary that you must optimize your phone for battery performance.

There are various articles on web that you can read and find out how to improve the phones battery performance. Add some battery booster apps, hope they can terminate unwanted process and make the phone work well.