Thread: Android 4.1 Jelly Bean OTA update already started?

Android 4.1 Jelly Bean OTA update already started?

So finally Jelly bean is rolled out. I wanted to know when they are releasing the OTA update for compatible devices? Because I tried to find out update on my Samsung Galaxy S2 but it shows nothing. But one of my friends having Motorola Xoom has got the OTA update. Damn, I don’t know how. I tried to search web about the same and surprisingly I found that OTA is scheduled to release somewhere in mid-july. Than how the guy got the update so early ? Is Jelly Bean OTA update out officially or in any other way ? Can I have the update for my Galaxy S2 as well ?

Re: Android 4.1 Jelly Bean OTA update already started?

Nope, there is no way to get the Jelly Bean OTA before the release date that is set somewhere in mid July. Also, the friend you talking might have downloaded the Jelly Bean Developer preview update because it was launched on 27th June itself. While the official OTA release has few more days left.

And dude, you will not be getting this update on your device (Galaxy S2) even after the official release of the OTA because as of now it is just for three devices including Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Nexus S and Motorola Xoom. Other devices need to wait couple of months to get the new os.

Quote Originally Posted by Head-Hunter View Post
    Nope, there is no way to get the Jelly Bean OTA before the release date that is set somewhere in mid July. Also, the friend you talking might have downloaded the Jelly Bean Developer preview update because it was launched on 27th June itself. While the official OTA release has few more days left.
    You are little correct buddy but not completely correct. Its true that preview ota was launched on 27th and official Jelly Bean is schedule for mid July, but there was some leaked link for the OTA as well. Few users also downloaded the same and installed on their (above mentioned three) devices. It is surely an official update and need to expertise to install because you will need to flash your smartphone along with many R&D. I have the link but I don’t think you should go for it as it may brick your device. So better wait for more 10 days and get the update from manufacturers’ directly. Also there will be no headache of flashing and all.

That’s exactly what I was saying in my first post, thanks for clear explanation ‘Black Cloud’. That is how my friend updated the Jelly Bean I guess. Anyways, isn’t there anyway I too can use the same update file on my device as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Just-Margaret View Post
    That’s exactly what I was saying in my first post, thanks for clear explanation ‘Black Cloud’. That is how my friend updated the Jelly Bean I guess. Anyways, isn’t there anyway I too can use the same update file on my device as well.
    Nope, and don’t even try to do that if you love your smartphone and want to continue with it. Because first it is unofficial leaked update and second it is not made for Samsung GS2. As of now there are only 3 devices compatible with the same and those the one mentioned above (Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Nexus S and Motorola Xoom.). You will need to wait for more few months, hope they launch it for all ICS running devices.