Thread: MSI GX740 not charging properly

MSI GX740 not charging properly

I am having a MSI GX740 and I have been using the same form a long time and I did not had any issues with the same until now. The problem that I am facing with it is that it gets charged randomly from the ac adapter. Some time the laptop gets charged without any issues where as sometimes it doesn’t. I don’t know what I the issue all about, is this is an issue with the ac adapter or the laptop? Any suggestion??

Re: MSI GX740 not charging properly

I think there might be something wrong with the ac adapter, I will suggest you to check out the connections of the extensions at both the end of the adapter. There are possibilities that they might be loose. You can check out the detachable extension by unplugging it and plugging it. If there is something wrong with the other end of the ac adapter extension then I don’t think there is anything that you will be able to try out rather than getting a new ac adapter. If you don’t find issues with the cables and extension of ac adapter then there might be something wrong within the adapter. If you are having other ac adapter that can work with your laptop then you can try that out and find out if there is anything wrong with the laptop or ac adapter. Just try out what I have suggested and let me know what you find out.

Checking out the ac adapter extension was the first things that I had done, It don’t see anything wrong with the cables and extensions. Even I was thinking that there is something wrong within the adapter but I have tested out the laptop with other ac adapter of the same model and I am getting the same response from it. The laptop gets charged randomly, I just wanted to know can this be an issue with the battery of the laptop ?? Currently I am not having similar battery to check out the same but if there is possibility of such issue because of it then it will try to arrange it. What do you think about it??

As far as I am aware if there was something wrong with the battery of the laptop then either it would have started discharging soon or won’t get charged at all. You are not having either of the cases. Since it is getting charged randomly you can try doing an EC reset, I am not sure if that will make any difference in this case but you should give it a try in such condition. For resetting EC turn off your laptop, unplug it from charging, take out the battery, wait for 5 minutes and turn it on again after reseating the battery. Just give it a try and let me know if it is helping.

I have now tried resetting EC following the solution that you have mentioned but unfortunately the issue is still the same. I have tried rebooting the battery several times but I did not got any help from it, I just wish I had a extra battery currently for checking out if there is something wrong with the laptop or the battery. I doubt it to be the battery but from what you have explained I am not sure about the same. Anyways is there anything else that I can try out further to get this issue solved?? Is there anything I need to check now?? Further help regarding this will be appreciated.

There are possibilities that there might be something wrong with the battery itself and not the ac adapter and laptop. There are some utilities and programs like batterymon, laptop batter tester and others. So just download, install and run any of them and post back the result that you get. If the program reports anything suspicious with the battery then you will have to get it replaced. I think that testing the batter before coming to any point regarding the issue will be a better idea. Try it out and let us know what you get for further help.

So now I have tested out the battery of the laptop with laptop battery tester and I have not found anything to be suspicious in its report. I want to make it clear that I am not having any issue with the working of the laptop when it is on battery but the issue is when I am trying to charge it after it runs out of battery. I have checked out the battery of the laptop and have done possible tweaking with the golden fingers of it as well. The battery is appearing to be fine but I don’t know why it isn’t getting charged all the time when I am plugging it for charging. I have checked about this issue on other forums as well and have asked some techsavy guys as well, they simply said there might be something wrong with the laptop better get it checked. So now I wanted to know from you all guys should I better get it checked from the service center or there are other things that I can try out before doing that???

Your issue seems to be quite weird, before getting your laptop checked from the service center I will suggest you to try updating or flashing the bios and test it out. You can update the bios by either using a cd. You just have to download the bios for your motherboard from the manufacturer site and copy it and create a bootable cd. When you are done with this then insert the cd in the cd rom and boot from the same. After booting you have to run the bios file and follow the prompts for updating the bios. If that does not help then you can very well get your laptop checked.

I think those people were right, there is something wrong with the laptop. Actually I luckily found similar laptop battery from neighbor and carried out the test as well. Even after changing the battery I am getting the same response from it. To be at the safer side I have tried updating the bios using cd but it did not helped. I will be getting the laptop checked tomorrow because I am tired of trying out solutions and tired of fighting with the ac adapter to charge the laptop. God knows what went wrong with it suddenly.