Thread: Mac Pro updated with Intel Xeon CPU

Mac Pro updated with Intel Xeon CPU

Few weeks before, I had heard news that said that Mac Pro will be updated to Intel Xeon CPU. I don’t know if it were any rumors or it was real, but I think that it will be a great move by Apple to have Intel Xeon CPU in Mac Pro. I am planning to get myself a Mac Pro and if this news is true, I will hurry and get myself a new version of this system. Can somebody tell me if the news is true and if Apple has updated the Mac Pro with Intel Xeon CPU?

Re: Mac Pro updated with Intel Xeon CPU

Apple has updated the Mac Pro with Intel Xeon CPU recently, but they didn’t release any news or public announcement about it. They just did it and I think that it is a good move in terms o f hardware for Mac Pro. The new Mac Pro now comes with two 2.4 gigahertz 6-core Intel Xeon E5645 processors along with 12 MB of fully shared L3 cache per processor. This Mac Pro is priced at $3799 and it will come with 12 GB of RAM and 1 terabyte of hard disk. Along with this, it will also be equipped with ATI Radeon HD 5770 graphic card which will be of DDR5 type and have video memory of 1 GB. Another Mac Pro of same version is also available at price of $2499. The only difference between them is that this one comes with 6 GB of RAM while other features remain same. These Mac Pro will come with pre installed Mac OS X Lion as operating system in it.

Re: Mac Pro updated with Intel Xeon CPU

I think that Mac Pro should have been updated to Intel Core i7 which will support thunderbolt and USB3. I know that Mac pro has problem with overheating as its cabinet does not provide proper airflow to let the hot air to escape. Intel Core i7 generates a lot of amount of heat and having it in Mac Pro might be disadvantageous. But it is twice better than Intel Xeon. Also Intel Core i7 can be connected in dual mode easily without any issue of them losing compatibility with each other. But Intel Xeon is such a processor that it has to be used alone. Also I think that Intel Xeon is overpriced if its features and working is considered. A 6 core Intel i7 is around 70% faster than Intel Xeon. I hope Apple is developing Mac Pro with Intel Core i7 and bring them out soon.