Thread: Acer Iconia A700 positive and negative points

Acer Iconia A700 positive and negative points

I am planning to buy a new tablet PC for my daily use. For my office work, I need to maintain a proper schedule and maintain data. So I think that tablet PC will be useful for my need. I read the review of some tablet PCs and I found that Acer Iconia A700 was good for my use. I have narrowed down my search on this tablet and I will be buying it soon. But before I get it for myself, I want to know the positive points and the negative points of this tablet PC. Can someone provide me information about it?

Re: Acer Iconia A700 positive and negative points

The first thing that I liked about Acer Iconia A700 when I used it for the first time was its screen. The resolution, clarity and the fineness it provides can be compared with the screen of iPad 3. iPad 3 has better screen in terms of resolution, clarity and fineness. But the difference is not big and also unnoticeable. If you will be using Acer Iconia A700 for office use only, then I don’t think that screen specifications will matter to you much. The control that this tablet provides over screen’s brightness is awesome. The level to which you can adjust the brightness is very detailed. You can adjust the screen for almost any type of light. The only drawback of the screen is that it is difficult to see it in direct sunlight by default. But you can increase the brightness up to 80% if you want to use it in sunlight. The brightness of this tablet is set to lower level by default which is suitable for indoor environments.

The tablet has Android as it operating system. Now when I say Android, it means we have a lot of various options to edit the tablet as we wish to. We can install new apps or maybe modify the existing one. The default browser of Acer Iconia A700 is the Acer Ring. I removed it and have installed Google Chrome and Dolphin to use as the default browser in my tablet. I have replaced the default picture viewer of my tablet with QuickPic. These modifications can be made for the better performance of this tablet. There is no lock or restriction on the bootloader and the rooting method. Another good thing that I liked about this tablet is that it is equipped with two speakers. It is good for the person who is interested in music as the sound quality provided by Acer Iconia A700 is very good.

One thing that I didn’t like about Acer Iconia A700 is that it comes with some useless in-built apps which aren’t much useful as the third party apps available for Android. Plus, these in-built apps slow down the working of the tablet up to a noticeable level as they start at the startup itself. But no worries about it as they can be easily replaced by third party apps. Another problem that I saw in Acer Iconia A700 was that the body of it was very weak in built and it might easily break if mistakenly banged around the corner or dropped from certain height. Another disadvantage about its body is that it is very easy to dismantle and assemble. So it can be of one advantage that, that the tablet can be cleaned from inside easily.

Another good thing that I liked about this tablet is that it is equipped with two speakers. It is good for the person who is interested in music as the sound quality provided by Acer Iconia A700 is very good.
    I know that the speakers are good in Acer Iconia A700 and they give a good quality of the sound. But one thing I didn’t like about the speakers is their placement. They are placed on one side of the body thus giving sound from just one side. If I have placed the tablet on the table, then I expect the sound to be coming from centre. But rather, it comes from one side, getting the sound quality closer to the mono rather than stereo.

Another big problem that Acer Iconia A700 faces is that of heating. I don’t know what heats up in this tablet, CPU or GPU, but when used for around an hour, you can feel a good amount of heat being emitted from it. I first thought that excessive gaming on this tablet caused it to heat than normal. But on the second day of use, even browsing internet, reading certain documents and use of certain basic apps like calculator lead to the heating of Acer Iconia A700. To test what was the reason for heating, I removed the carry cover in which it is placed and played some games for around forty minutes in a row. After thirty minutes, the backside of Acer Iconia A700 heated so much that at one point I thought that its internal parts might just catch fire. I tried to investigate till what limit will it go on heating, but the tablet froze in between and I had to restart it. I don’t know if this problem exists in all the tablets, but I think, heating problem exists.

Considering the body of Acer Iconia A700, it has a rubber surface on its back part. This rubber surface provides a good grip when holding. Also it is useful when the tablet is placed on the smooth sloping surface. Also the matte black color finish gives it an good look. This color matches with most of the outfits, be it casual or formal. The body of this tablet has rounded edges which give it a classy look as well as good holding grip. The locking system of this tablet is good. It becomes more interesting because of the small animations used in the unlocking system. Not just unlocking system, but many small and attractive animations are used in the menu and other parts of the Acer Iconia A700 which makes using it very fun.

It also comes with Nvidia Tegra 3 which makes playing games with high quality graphics more fun. I have played games like Asphalt 6, ShadowGun, Need for Speed Hot Pursuit and some more games which have graphics like in PC games. With stereo sound and high level of graphics, gaming is a good past time activity that can be done on Acer Iconia A700. Also the Wi-Fi range in which this tablet provides connectivity is very large. In many devices it is noticed that at the place where Wi-Fi signal’s range ends, the connection of the devices keep fluctuating. But here in Acer Iconia A700, this problem has been reduced efficiently.