Thread: MSI GX660 battery not working

MSI GX660 battery not working

I have been using MSI GX660 from a long time and I used to use it by removing the battery and plugging it to charging. I did not had any issues with the same but today when I tried using the laptop with battery then it was not working. It works when I am using the laptop with battery while plugging it to charging. The laptop turns off as soon as I remove the charging, I don’t know why it is not getting power from the battery. My friend had suggested that using the laptop without the battery while plugging it to charging is a better idea. That’s why I was using my laptop in the same way but I don’t know if these things have affected the battery and so. Is there anyone who has faced the same and can help me out with a workaround for solving this issue??

Re: MSI GX660 battery not working

I have never tried using my laptop in that way anyways I don’t think battery should get affected in that way. I think that there might be something wrong with the battery, it might have turned out faulty. If you want then you can try restoring the laptop to factory defaults and see if that helps. For restoring laptop to factory defaults you can follow the below steps:

• First reboot the laptop and Press "F3" repeatedly for entering the "Windows Boot Manager." Once you enter Windows Boot Manager you can use the arrow keys for highlighting "Windows Setup [EMS Enabled]" and hit enter.
    • Now when you get the "System Recovery Option" dialog box then Click "MSI Recovery Manager", after that you will get a prompt saying “your computer will be restored to its original factory settings” so just click on OK. You will also get a prompt saying “You’re hard drive will be formatted to begin the recovery process, so click on ok for that as well.
    • When you are done with all these then the restoring process will start with the estimated time below, so just make sure that you are not interrupting the task till the process gets completed successfully.

I have now tried out restoring the laptop to factory defaults, it took almost an hour but at the end the problem remains the same. The laptop is not getting charged with the battery. It works fine when I am using it without the battery or with the battery while charging. I can see the battery icon displaying that the battery is getting charged but I am not able to make out what’s wrong with it. I have tried rebooting the system several times as well but that’s not appearing to be making any difference. I just wanted to know if this issue is due to a software or hardware?? Can the battery turn out faulty if kept unused for some months??? Further help regarding this issue will be appreciated.

I really don’t think this issue is because of any software fault but it is more of a hardware fault. If possible then check out your laptop with some other similar battery so you can have a better idea of the cause you are facing. There are possibilities that the laptop battery might have turned faulty as you were not using it for months. As far as I, am aware laptop battery should be used from time to time to keep it going. If it is not in used then it should be stored in cooler place like fridge after wrapping it in plastic bags and so for its longer life. Just check out your laptop with other battery and let me know what you find. I am quite sure that your laptop battery has turned out faulty.

I agree to you on that point, battery should be used from time to time and when it’s not in use then it should be stored properly. I have faced the same issue previously, I was having a acer laptop and even I used to use the laptop without the battery while plugging it to charging. One day when I tried using the battery then it was not lasting for 10 minutes as well. I mean as soon as I used to unplug it from charging the battery used to run out power after 10 minutes. Even though it used to show 2 hours remaining after moving my mouse over the battery icon. I think you are facing the same issue but your case is worst as you have mentioned that it is not lasting for single minute as well and turns off as soon as you unplug it from charging.

I was not aware of that, I had kept the battery in a box in my cupboard, I will keep the storing thing in my mind from now. Currently I am not having similar battery for carrying out the test but I will take the laptop to the place from where I have bought it and will get it checked. I just wanted to know if I can get a battery as replacement if the laptop is under warranty period?? My friends say that the laptop warranty is for 1 year where as other accessories like battery, mice etc have warranty for 6 months. it has been 8 months in my case so I doubt I will get a replacement. What do you guys say on that??

I don’t think it’s like that, the laptop warranty covers the battery as well, if your laptop is having warranty for a year then you should get a new battery. If you are having the warranty card along with you then you can read out that, if not then contact the msi support and check out what they have to say about the same. I think that will be a better idea then to believe what your friends says. Best of luck.

Yes the battery is covered under warranty for msi laptop, I have just checked out for the same and have found this on msi site:

The following items are covered under this warranty.
    CPU, HDD, MEMORY, MOTHERBOARD, MXM GPU, KEYBOARD, TOUCHPAD, POINTING DEVICES, AUDIO DEVICES, OPTICAL DRIVES (DVD/CD-RW Combo, DVD Dual Layer Burner…), AC/DC POWER CORD.
    Note: Primary battery is covered for 1 year.

You can check out the same in the below link.
    MSI Notebook Hardware Product Warranty Information