Thread: Keyboard characters typing invalid combinations on Hp DV6

Keyboard characters typing invalid combinations on Hp DV6

My HP DV6 is just a month old and it started showing me such weird behaviors. I am sure I have been supplied with faulty laptops that have a faulty keyboard. No doubt the machine runs fast and smooth but I face the problem only when I try to use the keyboard and type something on a notepad or a Word doc. I must say that this problem is huge as not only one or two characters malfunction but the entire row on the keyboard shows me an invalid combination. No matter which key I press from that row I press, I end up getting the combination of some other letter which is quite strange. Not just I get a different combination of letters but sometime the scenario go worse and instead of getting a proper character I get a logon window on the screen after typing or pressing a key combination. This is not where the problem limit or stops there are many other things that happen after typing a single normal character of the keyboard.

I get more irritated when the whole system reboots without any prior warning after pressing those keys from the keyboard. Guys, you can’t even imagine what this HP laptop keyboard is capable of doing. If I go on explaining all its behavior then I am sure this single thread is not capable of taking them. Just wanted to tell you in short that the problem is too worst and I need to improve it as soon as possible. I haven’t tried out anything yet so you are free to suggest me every possible solution but see to it that I am capable of performing it with my own hands.

Re: Keyboard characters typing invalid combinations on Hp DV6

I am not sure about any solution for this problem but when I had this same problem with my keyboard I simply contacted the support center and there they suggested me to get a BIOS test. My whole keyboard is messed up and therefore nothing seems to be at its place on my keyboard. I do not drop and damaged the laptop for the keys of the keyboard to cause such problem. They say that BIOS test may surely help us in knowing the problem clearly but you know what? Unfortunately in my case I was not even able to press the keys that were necessary for me to run the BIOS test. Now the situation is that I haven’t yet tried their suggestion and still I am at the same position but I would really like to know what exactly this BIOS test do for this problem. Quite happy to see you posting this thread, at least I can say that I am not alone. Anyways better you try out the suggestion and please let me know the result.

I guess you people are facing the problem with the attached keyboard of your HP laptop. If yes, then why don’t you both try plugging in another USB keyboard and do the BIOS test? Not just the BIOS test buy I guess until your problems are resolved you can access the external keyboard for any requirement. If the external keyboard also does not work then I guess there is some serious issue that is going around in your laptop but I think external USB Keyboard or at least a Bluetooth keyboard should work. if your board is under warranty then better you replace the entire laptop from the place where you bought it. do not take any more risk by doing things by yourself.

The best thing you could do is perform a system restore. Yeah, this will surely do a trick. Let me tell you that this is not the first time someone if facing such hardware malfunctioning issue. Everyday, I think there must be at least one laptop user who must be facing this problem. I am one of them! However I didn’t contacted or consulted any support center people because I know they always give you such suggestion that are either not possible for you to perform or not working at all.

When I searched on internet I found System Restore as the only recommended and most preferred option for such problem. There are 60% chances of your problem to be resolved so better try it out and manage to eliminate the problem as soon as possible. but before performing system restore make sure that by doing so your machine will be completely erased off and nothing will be left out into it, so better take the backup of all your important data and only then go for performing this operation. Reboot the system and then check your keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina View Post
    My HP DV6 is just a month old and it started showing me such weird behaviors. I am sure I have been supplied with faulty laptops that have a faulty keyboard. No doubt the machine runs fast and smooth but I face the problem only when I try to use the keyboard and type something on a notepad or a Word doc. I must say that this problem is huge as not only one or two characters malfunction but the entire row on the keyboard shows me an invalid combination. No matter which key I press from that row I press, I end up getting the combination of some other letter which is quite strange. Not just I get a different combination of letters but sometime the scenario go worse and instead of getting a proper character I get a logon window on the screen after typing or pressing a key combination. This is not where the problem limit or stops there are many other things that happen after typing a single normal character of the keyboard.

I get more irritated when the whole system reboots without any prior warning after pressing those keys from the keyboard. Guys, you can’t even imagine what this HP laptop keyboard is capable of doing. If I go on explaining all its behavior then I am sure this single thread is not capable of taking them. Just wanted to tell you in short that the problem is too worst and I need to improve it as soon as possible. I haven’t tried out anything yet so you are free to suggest me every possible solution but see to it that I am capable of performing it with my own hands.

Try to change the keyboard settings from Control panel keyboard properties to US. If the country have been changed, then you might face this problem. Let me know if it works