Thread: MSI GT70 0NC 008US + Intel 520 SSD gives a popup message for enabling VT-x

MSI GT70 0NC 008US + Intel 520 SSD gives a popup message for enabling VT-x

I have recently replaced my MSI GT70 0NC 008US hard drive with Intel 520 SSD and everything was working fine without any issues. Today when I was trying VMWare then I got a popup message for enabling VT-x. I don’t have much idea about the same so I want to know from where I have to enable it? Is there anyone who has an idea about the same??

Re: MSI GT70 0NC 008US + Intel 520 SSD gives a popup message for enabling VT-x

I am not very sure but I think that the option for enabling VT-x lies somewhere in the bios. Just check it out and see if you are able to find it out, you can also try using CPU-Z to make sure if it is available or not. Since I am not having a msi laptop right now you can even contact the msi support and find out where is the option for enabling VT-x, they will surely help you out with it.

I think your processor might not be supporting VT-X, anyways can you just post the specification of your MSI GT70 0NC 008US laptop so that I can confirm the same for you. You can find it out by using CPU-Z as suggested by DaminiAMD or you can use tool called Securable from Gibson Research for finding out hardware supports virtualization extensions. This tool will let you know about the hardware that are supported by your system but are not enabled. You should be having option for enabling them in bios, if your processor does not supports VT-X then the option for enabling them won’t be there.

I have gone through the bios and there is no option for enabling VT-x there. I have used CPU-Z and it has confirmed that VT-x is available but God only knows the option for enabling it. I have contacted MSI Tech support and they just said that it should be there in the CPU overclocking option of the bios but it not there in my case. Is there anywhere else I have to check about it? Is there any solution that I can try out further for getting the option for enabling VT-x? Further help regarding this will be appreciative.

MSI GT70 0NC 008US specification:
    • Intel Core i7-3610QM Processor
    • Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
    • 17.3" Full HD Anti-reflective Display (16:9; 1920 x 1080)
    • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M discrete graphics (DDR5 3GB VRAM)
    • Accelerated performance with MSI TDE Technology
    • Full-color programmable backlit keyboard by SteelSeries
    • Killer Game Networking
    • MSI Cooler Boost Technology
    • Dynaudio Premium Sound Speakers with THX TruStudio PRO
    • Intel 520 SSD
    • 12GB DDr3 1600MHz system memory
    • DVD Super Multi
    • USB 3.0 for high speed data transfer
    • HDMI 1.4 (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) output
    • Built-in 720p HD webcam
    • Gold flashed audio jack ports with amplifier
    • 802.11 b/g/ n Wireless LAN with Bluetooth

I have checked out for the same and have found that Intel Core i7-3610QM Processor does supports VT-x but even I don’t know why the option for it is missing in your bios. I will suggest you to update your bios or reflash it and see if it is working out for you. If you still don’t get it then contact the msi support and let them know your current bios version and the solution that you have tried and check out what they have to say about it. I don’t think that the option for enabling VT-x will be specific to bios but you can find it out that way.

Yes you can try updating the bios to the latest one there are possibilities that the option for enabling VT-x might have been added in the latest bios’es. Just give it a try and post back the result that you get. If that does not help then you can try doing ec reset, I am not sure if that will make any difference or not but you can definitely give it a try in such condition. For doing ec reset you have to follow the below simple solution:
    • Hold the power button for 5 seconds and turn it off, Remove recharge plug, Remove battery
    • Now wait for about 5 minutes, reseat the battery and turn it on.
    • You can try out this after updating the bios, just try these things out and let me if anyone of them is making difference in your case or not.

I have now updated the bios and have tried out doing ec reset several times as well but I am still not able to get the option for enabling VT-x. I have contacted the msi support again and they are saying the same. They have suggested the same things, updating the bios, reflashing the bios and all. I have already tried out those things and they were of no help. I think that VT-x is supported but the option is hidden somewhere else instead of the bios. Currently I am not using VMWare but I will like to know if anyone gets any update on this. further help regarding this will be highly appreciative.