Thread: MSI CX640 is not recognizing Nvidia GT520M

MSI CX640 is not recognizing Nvidia GT520M

I have been using MSI CX640 laptop and I did not had any issues with the same until now. Today I have found that the nVIDIA Geforce GT520M Graphic Card is not getting detected by the laptop. The other Intel HD3000 on board Graphic Card is working fine. I have checked out for GT520M in the device manager and it is missing from there as well. Does that mean the integrated card has turned faulty??? Is there anything that I can try out??

Re: MSI CX640 is not recognizing Nvidia GT520M

There are possibilities that it might have turned faulty but as far as a workaround is concerned I wanted to know if you have tried installing latest driver for it. If not then download and install the latest available driver and install the same. Just make sure before making the installation you are uninstalling the old driver completely from your system. You can use driver sweeper for uninstalling, once the uninstalling process gets completed you can install the latest available driver and check out of the card is getting recognized or not. If it doesn’t then it might have turned faulty and you will have to get it replaced. Hope that helps.

I should have mentioned the solutions that I have tried so far. Anyways I wanted to share that I have tried out uninstalling and installing process of latest driver several times but it is not making any difference. I have checked out in the Nvidia Control panel and it says that "An NVIDIA graphics card was not detected”. I don’t know what went wrong with it suddenly as it was working fine till yesterday. Is there anything else that I need to check out? I don’t think I am missing out anything and I have tried out all the possible solution that I could have but the card is not getting recognized. This is making me think that the card has turned out faulty. What do you have to say about the same???

I think you should try updating the bios, if you haven’t then give it a try, and see if the card is getting recognized after that or not. After updating the bios make sure that you are loading bios defaults as well. If updating the bios does not helps then there is surely something wrong with the card. Just to cross check you can try using nVIDIA Geforce GT520M in some other system and see if it is working fine there. If it does not then I don’t think there is anything else that you will be able to try out further yourself and you will have to get it replaced.

If the above solutions are not making any difference in your case then you can simply try out doing an EC reset. I am not very sure if that will help but you can definitely give it a try in such condition. You can refer to the below steps for EC reset:
    • Just turn the laptop off, unplug the power cord and remove the battery
    • Now wait for some minutes, reseat the battery and turn on the laptop

Just give it a try and let me know if it helps.

So after your suggestion I have tried out the below things
    • Updating bios and loading bios defaults
    • Doing EC reset several times

Other than this I have tested out the card in other working system and it is not appearing to be working there as well. The nVIDIA Geforce GT520M is not getting detected, I think I was right the card has turned faulty, I will get it checked.