Thread: Unable to configure Elantech Touchpad properties in Asus K61IC-A1 with Ubuntu

Unable to configure Elantech Touchpad properties in Asus K61IC-A1 with Ubuntu

I have an ASUS K61IC-A1 Laptop running with Intel core 2 DUO , 4 GB DDRII RAM, GeForce GT 220M. It was running on Windows 7 since i bought this laptop. but recently due to some work i needed to install Ubuntu So, I install Ubuntu on my laptop. All is working fine after installing Ubuntu except Touchpad . Now my touchpad is not working properly and smoothly. I think there is some kind of settings with ubuntu to configure Touchpad. I even tried configuring the Touchpad from System->Preferences-> Touchpad but didn’t find the Touchpad Tab. But i was surprised to see the Mouse TAB over there instead of Touchpad. Anyone know how to solve this problem.

Re: Unable to configure Elantech Touchpad properties in Asus K61IC-A1 with Ubuntu

I started facing exactly the same problem after re-installing Ubuntu on my HP Pavilion H5535 Series Laptop last year. My touchpad was displayed as Mouse in input device. So, I check the X configuration of input device and got the cause of the problem . The problem was actually because i was using the mouse at the time of installation and because of that there was a conflict between Touchpad and Mouse. I guess due to this Ubuntu installs driver of Mouse instead of Touchpad. So, I remove the driver of Mouse and install the touchpad drivers. You should try doing the same in order to fix the problem. And yeah, dont forget to restart the system after removing and installing the drivers.

Re: Unable to configure Elantech Touchpad properties in Asus K61IC-A1 with Ubuntu

This problem occurs because of using mouse and Touchpad both. Both touchpad and mouse drivers conflicts with each other and creates this problem. Try out these settings and let me know if you get the problem again:

• Open the Shell Prompt from system menu.
    • Write Xinput command on shell prompt. (Xinput Note: Xinput is X configuration utility which is provided in any Ubuntu OS. It is just command line tool which works on any shell prompt by entering Xinput.)
    • Xinput scan your computer and provide you list of attached input devices.
    • Note your Mouse ID from this list which is required later.
    • For example Mouse name is Logitech wheel mouse and ID is 10.
    • Now we have to disable the mouse after that Touchpad is working proper.
    • Now we need the supported property of Mouse to disable it.
    • Command for Mouse property is "xinput list-props" with your Mouse pad ID number. For Example we have Mouse pad is 10 then our full command is “xinput list-props 10”. And if you don’t want to use ID number then use the Device name itself.
    • Hit Enter key to execute the command.
    • Note the property ID of Device from this list. For example property ID is 85.
    • Which bit of operating system you are install on your system. For Example if you install 32 bit Operating system then Insert 32 bit.
    • Now we have to disable the Mouse where put 0 for Disable and 1 for enable the any device. We have to write the 0 disable the Mouse.
    • Now we have to set a command such to disable the mouse where Mouse ID is 10, Property ID is 89, property value is 0 to disable the mouse and 32 for Bit of OS.
    • Finally type “xinput set-int-prop 10 89 32 0” this command to disable the mouse.