Thread: Importance of File Management in in Android phone

Importance of File Management in in Android phone

Android phones are equipped with rich interface. But one thing that I noticed, is Android is rich in File Management. What I means to say like operating system you have an explorer type on in your phone to see the list of files. You can move, copy or send files via Bluetooth. Compared to Android before Windows phone and Symbian was the only platform that was rich in this features. I still remember in Nokia 6600 as one of the best phone that was having very easy file manager. You can move files, change file extension so that it be played in video player. etc. As the operating system started getting more richer with more benefits, it has increase the need of File Manager. What I want to ask that do you really agree, whether all phones should have a file manager. Compare to Android, I think iPhone will never need. If everything is well organized it is not necessary for you get confused between set of files. The same also matters when you are planing to learn development on a mobile platform. Android has Linux base which makes it more simpler to understand while iPhone is entirely different and OS like Symbian are out of market. In my views it is not possible to bring all the mobile phones on one single platform.

Re: Importance of File Management in in Android phone

You are right to some extent. What I think that it is quiet important to have a file manager in a phone. File browsing is a feature of operating system. It does not comes from any app or hardware. The operating system must support a kind of standard to give you that result. File manager helps you to manage your content well. You can simply get rid of number of files at a time. Like if you wan to delete around 10 photos from a folder, then you can simply mark them and delete it. Android is going to set new example on this. Soon you can be lucky to use more better File browsing only on Android platform. I am not talking about others. The last that I checked in Gingerbread was basic but very fast. It does take time to move a file of large size. On a smaller platform the need of file browsing is limited. But when you will get chance to run FTP, cloud, etc on your phone at that time this will be important. File browsing should be implemented and improve in very phone. Because as the time goes on the storage size in phones are keep on increasing and surely in future there will be virus too. To fight them and recover your data, you will need some alternative by which you can access data. This cannot be done every time through pc.

I am actually not able to understand what you guys are talking about. If this is about simple file browsing then this is a default feature of almost every phone. And this will be available till you have additional storage like microsd card.

I want to share my browsing experience. I am working on a android game which saves game profile. This profile then if moved to any game, the player can directly unlock all the levels. Now for that if I have that file, so I cannot tell my friend to connect his phone to pc and then copy paste. To do that quickly I can send the file via Bluetooth. What I want to say that there should be some kind of feature, where we receive file in phone we can get option to save where we want. By the way there is alternative also for this. In android you have Received folder where all the files go and from there you can transfer file anywhere. So that can be excluded. So here if I go for a new game for android I have to take care about the file management also. I have to make a proper format or what you say file tree so that the user can understand how he can manage the game files. Even if he is not going to use. One thing that irritates me in android is tons of folder which are created. Compared to that iPhone is more clean.

I think the upcoming version of Android will have a bookmarking facilty also. I am using a launcher which bookmarks your last application used. In that way I get top 10 list of most used app. In the same way if the file manager has a bookmarking feature which can keep a track of most used location then it will be easier to access.