Thread: Dell started selling Ivy Bridge laptop for $599

Dell started selling Ivy Bridge laptop for $599

This can be a good news for Dell lovers. If you are planing to change your existing laptop or willing to buy new one then have a look on Dell Vostro 3000 Series laptop. There are some three different series available in this which comes with Intels' third generation processors. That means your laptop is a complete pack of gaming and multimedia features. Third generations processor means more power and ddr3 ram support will make your laptop to run any kind of resource intensive app smoothly. Along with I found that this laptop might comes with additional 32gb msata ssd card. Now what this for. SSD offers you good speed for data transfer and reliability. So this might be something related to that. When I tried to find the model details on dell site they were not listed. I am not sure why. There are only two tabs dell vostro laptop and dell vostro desktop. When clicked on tablet the site asked my preference and redirected on the basis of that. For $599 it looks worth to purchase a Ivy Bridge sytem. What you suggest.

Re: Dell started selling Ivy Bridge laptop for $599

Surely this will be nice to get a high end system at the price range. And that too a Dell brand. We all knows that Dell is one of the top manufacturers with best after sales services. The reason you cannot see those models on Dell site is because of your location. You have to find that on dell.com/uk. I think Dell started selling those models from UK region and then later on those might be available for other parts of World. The models that you had mentioned in are correct. This laptops has DDR3 ram and Intel's third generation Core i Series processor. Till yet I had seen many laptops and desktops are selling their new products on Intel's second generation i Series processor. So you can stay a step ahead here. I can list you the price which I found in euros. I cannot locate the dollar price so just to get an idea I converted the currency ratio based on todays time. Like Vostro 3460 Laptop cost £769 ($967 approx), Vostro 3360 Laptop cost ($728 approx) & Vostro 3560 cost £439 ($552 approx). This does not includes taxes and shipping charges which can raise it more. But I think the price will be optimized as this price will land in other regions also. That does not looks actually costly for a high end laptop which can easily cost you between $800 to $1000 depends on the system configuration.

I too find the price proper. My budget was $700 for a laptop. In that case spending a $100 to $150 more is not a bad idea. This would be really costly if order from India, as the currency conversion rate will rise the price compared to local brands. Second thing the mSata SSD card that you are asking is used to quickly wake your laptop from hibernation. This is something new dell has added. Here when you put your laptop on hibernation or sleep mode, your current physical ram is responsible for all work. But the additional mSata card give addition power to the wake time. So that can be good.

I want to post the specification of all this three models. You will be surely happy to know that this models comes with minimum 6GB Ram and also each of them as a video card. Some have integrated. But that too is more than enough. You can assume to have 512MB minimum dedicated video memory for the lowest brand among them. Here is the full list of specs and information :

Vostro 3360 Specification:
    • Cpu Choices - Intel Core i7 (3517U) / Core i5 (3317U) & Core i3 (2367M).
    • Ram - Up to 6GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1600Mhz x2 DIMMS
    • Chipset - Intel Mobile HM77 Panther Point Express Chipset
    • Gpu Choices - Intel HD Graphics 3000 / 4000 integrated
    • Display - 13.3 inch (34cm) High Definition LED Display (1366 x 768) with anti-glare
    • Hard Drive Choices - 320GB SATA hard drive (7200RPM) or 128GB Solid State hard drive
    • Connectivity - Gigabit Ethernet network, 802.11a/b/g/n & Bluetooth Combo(BT V4.0+HS), Intel WiFi 2230 & HSPA 2.0
    • Additional - 2 Integrated speakers, Integrated HD camera (720p), Dell Webcam Central& 8-in-1 Card Reader

Vostro 3460 Specification :
    • Cpu Choices - Intel Core i7 (3612QM) & Core i5 (3210M).
    • Gpu Choices - Intel HD Graphics 4000 & 1GB nVidia GeForce GT 630M Discrete GPU.
    • Display - 14.0 inch (36cm) High Definition LED Display (1366 x 768) with anti-glare
    • Hard Drive Choices - 1TB SATA hard drive or 500GB Sata (7200RPM)
    • Optical Drive - 8X DVD+/-RW with double-layer DVD+/-R write capability & Blu-ray combo
    • Connectivity - Gigabit Ethernet network, 802.11a/b/g/n & Bluetooth Combo(BT V4.0+HS), Intel WiFi 2230 & HSPA 2.0
    • Additional - 2 Integrated speakers, Integrated HD camera (720p), Dell Webcam Central& 8-in-1 Card Reader

Vostro 3560 Specification :
    • Cpu Choices - Intel Core i7 (3612QM), Core i5 (3210M) & Core i3 (2370M)
    • Gpu Choices - Intel HD Graphics 3000 or 4000 & AMD Radeon HD 7670M 1GB Discrete Graphic Card.
    • Display -15.6" High Definition (720p) or Full High Definition (1080p) LED Display with AntiGlare
    • Hard Drive Choices - 750GB Sata (7200RPM)
    • Optical Drive - 8X DVD+/-RW with double-layer DVD+/-R write capability & Blu-ray combo
    • Connectivity - Gigabit Ethernet network, 802.11a/b/g/n & Bluetooth Combo(BT V4.0+HS) & Intel WiFi 2230

Note : In each model above camera is optional.

I had gone through those specification thoroughly. So compared to existing models you are getting additional Ivy bridge processor support and GPU on the board. Anyhow Dell tries to give a balance system between business work and multimedia. Because today there are ample of games among which you will live to have any one on your system. To meet the needs of same, this system looks quiet enough. If we go with any of existing models which are present under 2nd Generation Core i Series processor then the models we get are - Inspiron 14z for $858.98 & Inspiron 14R for $$888.99. Inspiron 14z gives you 2nd generation Core i3, 6GB DDR3 1333Mhz Ram, 750Gb hard drive and Integrated Intel HD 3000 GPU. And second one gives you Intel Core i5, GB DDR3 1333Mhz Ram, 750Gb hard drive and Integrated Intel HD 3000 GPU. You can customize that which will rise your cost. Compared to this existing models the Vostro 3000 series is far more better. You have option for having integrated gpu + dedicated video card, with 1TB drive support and blu ray in some models. I hope the price which are mentioned in above post should be the same.

Check the following chart of this new series laptop. It took me really long time to make this one. But according to me this will help to differentiate among the available models. Under each model there are number different choices. Like for Vostro 3560 series there are 9 different options available based on price difference. So it is quiet necessary if you can have a look on each of them.