Thread: How to update Ice Cream Sandwich on Samsung Galaxy Y

How to update Ice Cream Sandwich on Samsung Galaxy Y

Hey guys, need a bit of help regarding my Samsung Galaxy Y (S5360). As we all know now a days almost every phone is getting launched with Android's latest ICS os, and many of the older phones are getting update for ICS. Now am using this Galaxy y since a year but yet it has not gone above of Android 2.3.6 Gingerbread according to Kies.

So i wanted to know whether ICS will be released for this device or not ? If not officially is there any way we can install Ice Cream Sandwich on Galaxy Y ?

Re: How to update Ice Cream Sandwich on Samsung Galaxy Y

I dont think Galaxy Y is going to get official ICS Update because running ICS requires compatible Hardware configuration. And as you might be knowing Galaxy Y is a mid range Android smartphone, it is not compatible for the same.

And regarding other older phones you talking about has compatible hardwares and hence they get ICs. Also if you search, there are thousands of Android devices those are still stuck with Honeycomb and thats final update for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Magan View Post
    Am using this Galaxy y since a year but yet it has not gone above of Android 2.3.6 Gingerbread according to Kies.

So i wanted to know whether ICS will be released for this device or not ? If not officially is there any way we can install Ice Cream Sandwich on Galaxy Y ?
    Yeah, it seems Android 2.3.6 Gingerbread is final update for Galaxy Y as this device is compatible for that much. But there are few other ways with which you can atleast get the feel of ICS on your Galaxy Y as well. I am talking about custom Rom.

It is "ICS Aura Custom Rom" that gives you ICS styled Apps, ICS Animations, SQLite support, Analog clock and Compass and many more impressive widgets. if you want you can install it on your device but remember, installing Custom Rom means you are rooting your device and by doing this your device warranty will no longer be Valid.

Thanks for such a great news and info, Orton. I would like to go with this ROM as am bored of using the same interface since such a long time. And as i said in my first post also, am using this since a year and hence it is already no longer under warranty. So could you please let me know the step by step process for doing the same ?

Well, i can let you know the tutorial but before that i would like to say that installing Custom Roms or Rooting requires good knowledge. If you are new to this, dont attempt. Because a small mistake can brick your smartphone. So better get it done with someone who is aware of what he is going to do.

Here are the steps to install ICS Aura Rom on Galaxy Y S5360:

• Do a complete back up of your device because while installing ROM your device will be formatted and you may lose all data stored in the phone.

• Now Download and install Clockworkmod Recovery on your phone.

• Now enable USB Debugging by going to Settings, click Applications, now click Development and check mark the box infront of Enable USB Debugging.

• Now click here to download the Aura ROM and save it to your computer.

• Once done, connect your mobile to PC via USB Cable and copy Aura Rom on your mobile SD card. (Put it somewhere that it can be easily accessed in recovery mod.)

• Once done, disconnect the device from computer, remove USB cable and turn Off your phone.

• Here starts the main process. Now press hold Volume up + Home key and press Power key to boot the device in CWM recovery mode.

• Select "Install zip from sdcard", navigate to the sd card and select Aura Install zip.

Now wait for few minutes, dont do anything. Installation will take some time. once it is done your device will reboot automatically. Thats it. You have just installed Aura ICS Custom Rom on your Galaxy Y. Enjoy.