Thread: Upgrade to HD 5870M from GT 240M on Acer Aspire 8735G

question Upgrade to HD 5870M from GT 240M on Acer Aspire 8735G

I own an Acer Aspire 8735G and it is having NVIDIA GeForce GT 240M graphic card but now I am willing to upgrade the same to ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870. So here I just wanted to know if the card will be working well with my laptop or not. I have asked the same to my friends and they have said that I will have to use driver mod. I am not sure about the same so I just wanted to if anyone is using this combination or has an idea regarding it and can clear my doubt?

Re: Upgrade to HD 5870M from GT 240M on Acer Aspire 8735G

Yes the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 should work fine and you should not have any issues with the same. As far as I am aware you can use driver mod or the driver from the manufacturer site as well. It is not compulsory as such to use driver mod. Anyways actually I was looking for some help here, I have flashed vBIOS of Radeon HD 5870 to a wrong one because of which I am not getting anything on the screen now. I know it is my fault but I just wanted to know if there is anything that I can try to get it working properly. I am not sure if the card is passing post or not. I need to solve this out as soon as possible so any help regarding this will be highly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Bajrang Pandey View Post
    Yes the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 should work fine and you should not have any issues with the same. As far as I am aware you can use driver mod or the driver from the manufacturer site as well. It is not compulsory as such to use driver mod. Anyways actually I was looking for some help here, I have flashed vBIOS of Radeon HD 5870 to a wrong one because of which I am not getting anything on the screen now. I know it is my fault but I just wanted to know if there is anything that I can try to get it working properly. I am not sure if the card is passing post or not. I need to solve this out as soon as possible so any help regarding this will be highly appreciated.
    In that case you can create a bootable USB disk with original vbios file as well as the atiflash.exe for flashing the bios but for that you need to have original VBIOS. So if you are having a backup of the same then you can proceed with further steps and see if you are able to get it working again or not.
    • First just create a bootable USB disk with original vbios file having ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 installed.
    • After make sure that you are changing the boot order in BIOS to USB and plug in the USB drive, if the system is booting from USB drive then turn off the system, install the other card in the same USB port having the USB drive plugged in and cross check if the system is booting from USB or not.
    • If you have saved the atiflash.exe in the root directory then enter "atiflash -p 0 abc.bin" without the quotes where abc is name of the backup file. After entering the same hit enter and it will carry out some process. So let the process get completed, it might take a couple of minutes. Once it gets completed then turn of your system and turn it on again.

Just try it out and let me know if it is making any difference in your case.

I really won’t suggest you to upgrade to ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870. Even I have updated to the same in my Acer Aspire 8735G and since then I have been facing overheating issue. I am quite sure that there is something wrong with the card itself, I don’t know what but it gets just heated after half an hour of gaming. I was not having any such issue with the old card before upgrading. I have tried out all the possible trouble shooting like running the fan on high, applying thermal paste to the processor as well as the gpu but these things are just not making any difference. I am regretting on my decision of updating to Radeon HD 5870. It is really a bad update, some time the laptop just turns off suddenly when I am playing games or browsing over the web because of overheating. This issue is really disappointing and I am not able to sort out the same. Currently I am using it as it is and avoiding gaming for a while but I will switch to some other card later. If you doubt what I am saying then you can just check out on the web and you will find number of people having issues with their Acer Aspire 8735G after upgrading to ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870.

I am not sure about ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 and it issues with Acer Aspire 8735G but I have recently upgraded to NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M and I am just not having any issues as such. The card is working great and I have not yet faced any overheating with it, so if you are willing to switch to some other card then you can consider NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M as a choice.